Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Serious injury the cause or severe mobility issues?

Ben Moloney

Ben Moloney

Hi All,

I have recently purchased the Foundoutions and Fundamentals One programs after becoming fed up with my severe lack of mobility and it's impact on my weight training. I have had quiet a traumatic injury in my right leg and have blown my scaphoid to pieces from my old dirt bike racing career. My problem is that I am in far western Queensland Australia and have almost no reputable mobility PT's in my area so I find it very difficult to diagnose my mobility issues. I am not sure how much of it is due to my injuries and how much can be pinned to the regular kind of mobility problems. I wonder how/if I can overcome my injuries in relation to mobility and if there should be specific areas of focus for me in the Foundations and Fundamentals courses.

FYI I broke my wrist around 8 years ago and my leg about 6 years. My last surgery on my leg was about 4.5 years ago. Old Xray of my leg below which, still to this day has all the hardware in it. Pictures were taken today and show how turned in my right foot is and how the "butterfly" piece of bone still protrudes. Last picture is my right wrist mobility struggle. That's as much pressure as I can put on my wrist and the maximum range of motion. With weight (such as a push up) that level of mobility causes pain and discomfort.

My main problems are ankle mobility in my broken leg. I have been doing Yoga for BJJ's "Yoga for Rocks" program for the last 6 weeks trying to increase my mobility and flexibility and it has been great for my hips but my ankle mobility is still not improving and I don't know how much of it is due to the damage in my right leg. My bench mark is body weight squats facing a wall which I have found impossible.

Problem number two is my right wrist mobility, I find it extremely uncomfortable during simple push ups and after 3 to 5 sets i will pay for it for days afterwards with wrist pain and stiffness.

My goal is to one day be able to do a flawless front squat but at this stage it feels like a pipe dream.

Any suggestions or advice?

411499_462772070413994_1885153771_o.thumb.jpg.fc710bd1c5677e7602c791d36ad02be0.jpg595eb22716ea7_Photo7-7-1773825am.thumb.jpg.4024cacf65686e1d393daca29ed94eac.jpg595eb24f479bf_Photo7-7-1773910am.thumb.jpg.4f96a4c27d31a6c2ddd847909732cf7c.jpg595eb26fb36c3_Photo7-7-1774108am.thumb.jpg.0d00b16d17dd86c543b620f227899779.jpg

Ben Moloney

Oh FYI, my right leg is about 23mm (just under an inch) shorter than my left leg. Not sure if that info is useful but I use orthotics almost every day to try and compensate but they are only 20mm in height.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ben, pretty difficult to say something. the body tends to compensate completely for a problem. Generally the most common compensation in case of different limbs it is a postural problem.

Well, a good test for your dream: keep your legs in contact, ankle to ankle and knees to knees and try to perform a squat without leaving the heels from the floor. can you?

• Upvote 1

Nick Murray

I know (and work for!) a guy who used to be a soft tissue therapist for several Australian Olympic teams. I'll ask him if he knows anyone close to you. Where are you specifically? Mt Isa?

Ben Moloney

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. My wife and I just welcomed our first born into the world.

Alessandro,

I cannot perform your prescribed excise without my heels coming off the floor. working on the Ape movement and such atm to try and address this. Let me know anything else I should be doing to try and free up my hamstrings and provide more ankle mobility. I am also concerned about the 'butterfly" peice of bone in my leg and it's impact on my squat and ankle mobility.

Ben Moloney

Hi Nicholas,

I am at a town called Tieri and the largest town in my area is Emerald. I visit Mackay regularly which may have someone your guy knows?

Thanks for the response, i would be very interested in talking to someone that can point me in the right direction.

Ben

Pauline Taube

Hi Ben,

Congratulations with your new born :) 

To improve your hamstring and ankle mobility I recommend to include the Front Split series in your schedule. This course will target exactly this. The Middle Split course might be helpful as well as it works on your hip mobility which is also necessary in order to improve your squat position :) 

Ben Moloney

Thanks Pauline, I will look into the Front Split series as these two areas are my main concern. I am making progress with hip mobility through another program called Yoga for BJJ's Yogo for Rocks which is really helping but my hamstrings and ankle need some serious long term work done and I haven't found anything in yoga that helps which is one of the reasons I am here. Hopefully my severe lack of mobility will at least allow me to attempt a few of the early exercises in the Front Split series?

• Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Sounds good, Ben. You will be able to scale the exercises in the course. Please let us know if you have any other questions and feel free to keep us updated on your progress :) 

• Upvote 1