Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Squat mobility with hypermobility

Tony Burrows

Tony Burrows

Hello, not sure where to start really. I have joined today hoping to find some advice regarding poor squat mobility. I am following a strength training program which included compound lifts such as barbell squat, deadlift & bench press. I have been following this program for 6 months & have increased the weight I can lift on all exercises. But not as much as the programme calls for & I am wondering if it is due to my medical condition. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome & this comes with joint hypermobility. When I was young I was extremely flexible but this seems to have lessened a bit as I have aged.

The main problems I am facing is on the squat. It just feels unnatural & uncomfortable to do. I experience soreness at the top of my knees at the lower part of the quadricep & pain in my groin. As soon as I take a wide stance & descent my groin feels like it limited in opening & I experience slight pain. I also seem to favour one leg which I think has caused a strain on my outer quad muscle. I have heard that people with hypermobile joints should never stretch but I actually think this is what I need?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

Luke Searra

Tony, I know exactly what advice to give you. It is not within the scope of Gymnasticbodies but I'm sure Coach will not mind me taking a look at videos of your squat. Long story short before even seeing your videos, I recommend Foundations series, in particular, the SLS (single leg squat), in combination with your squat program to balance out the strength differences between legs.

You would also benefit from the front split and middle split stretch series (reasons I will go into later after seeing your squat videos).

I need 3 videos. One from 3/4 view, back and front please.

• Upvote 3

Tony Burrows
27 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Tony, I know exactly what advice to give you. It is not within the scope of Gymnasticbodies but I'm sure Coach will not mind me taking a look at videos of your squat. Long story short before even seeing your videos, I recommend Foundations series, in particular, the SLS (single leg squat), in combination with your squat program to balance out the strength differences between legs.

You would also benefit from the front split and middle split stretch series (reasons I will go into later after seeing your squat videos).

I need 3 videos. One from 3/4 view, back and front please.

Hello Luke,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I did actually think that I maybe should do single leg squats, Bulgarian split squats I was actually considering. Anyway I do have various video's of my form.

This one is most recent squat where I did manage to get below parallel as I have been struggling with this as you will see from the other 2 video's.

This is the side view where I do not make parallel

And from the back from a previous session. You can see my hips sway to the right but I seem to feel my left leg doing most of the work if this makes sense? I do try to take a wider stance now though.

Thanks,

Tony.

Alessandro Mainente

Hy Tony, personally I do not like your form on many aspects like the starting position,  the elbows position, the pattern of the movement of the ascent position where you begin to lift the butt and more. this squat must be evaluated in a face to face tutelage from an expert.

The problem is for sure in the hips, on one side the hips it is tighter (right side), increasing the stance with your actual form could increase hips problems.

• Upvote 3

Tony Burrows

Hi Alessandro, the second snd third video were from around a month ago and my form was really bad there. The first video should be taken as my current form. I am following the technique Mark Rippetoe describes in Starting strength. My butt moving up is supposed to be hip drive. Thanks Tony. 

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee
5 hours ago, Tony Burrows said:

My butt moving up is supposed to be hip drive.

but the chest/upper body should not be collapsing… 

• Upvote 1

Tony Burrows
3 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

but the chest/upper body should not be collapsing… 

Hi Suzanna thanks for your reply, yes I was told that this was due to poor upper body tightness caused by not bracing properly? Thanks Tony. 

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

this is the correct form of squat, the movement must be as much natural as possible with a vertical trajectory. IN the case of lack of ankle mobility I suggest to increase the feet distance but this compensation must be previously followed by a good stretch of hips muscle in order to avoid capsule problem.

• Upvote 2

Tony Burrows
7 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

this is the correct form of squat, the movement must be as much natural as possible with a vertical trajectory. IN the case of lack of ankle mobility I suggest to increase the feet distance but this compensation must be previously followed by a good stretch of hips muscle in order to avoid capsule problem.

Hello Alessandro, I am familiar with the videos of the Buff Dudes they are informative & easy to follow. I will practice that form & it does look more natural & appears to give you a tighter back. It is a lot different to what I have been following for instance he is looking straight ahead. The technique I have been following teaches you to look at a point on the floor in front of you & keep your sight on the point throughout the movement. This is the technique I have been following. Thanks for your help.

Luke Searra

Hi Tony, I'm going to kill this thread with one last post.

1) Your problem with your squats in the videos is not your connective tissue disorder, it's your form.

2) Alessandro is correct, your barbell unrack technique is lacking and bluntly put, eventually will become unsafe.

3) I have a Starting Strength Level 1 cert., and have spent face to face time with Mark Rippetoe talking about the Squat. Your Starting Strength style back squat form definitely needs work, and you should consider finding a professional Powerlifter or Olympic Lifter to help you relearn your form.

4) You have the hip drive concept correct but it shouldn't be turning you into half a pancake coming out of the squat.

5) Bodyweight single leg strength before weighted double leg strength or weighted single leg strength is strongly advised (you will find very well thought out and comprehensive SLS in Coach Sommers Foundations series).

6) After thousand of hours coaching back squats I advise you adhere to this simple principle. Mechanics vs. Intensity (load/weight), good mechanics are ALWAYS more important than lifting slightly more weight with mediocre form.

Thank you for your post Tony, unfortunately, I would like to end this thread here since this is a Gymnastics based bodyweight strength forum.

I absolutely appreciate your post, and if you have anything to add or would like to continue this conversation please PM me and Alessandro.

• Upvote 8