Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I combine gymnastics with weight training? and how?

Getinthecar

Hey guys! :D

I love gymnastics training and I love weight training and I would like to combine gymnastics with wieght training

I have seen Ido's article Gymnastics and bodyweight S&C - supperior to weight lifting. It was very intresting. For example, here is an intresting quote:

I know many people like to sell this 'more balanced aproach to training' - using the best of both worlds and enjoying better results, but...

That is not the truth.

The truth is, two years down the line you can have either one of those scenerios:

A.Train the bench press 1-3 times a week and achieve a double bodyweight bench press but no improved ability to control your body in space. (planche, upper body pushing plyometric ability, balance, control and more)

B. Concentrate on gymnastics and bodyweight strength for the upper body and achieve a 5 sec straddle planch, enhanced plyometric ability, flexibility, balance, control and better dominance of your body in space AND a 1.75X bodyweight bench press.

This makes my worry. I want to progress on my gymnastics training but dont want my wieght training to 'slow down' my gymnastics progress. So my question is: How can I combine gymnastics training with wieght training?

For example: If I work the fundamental statics (planche, Front & Back Lever, L sit and Straddle L) 2x times a week combined with wieght training (Deadlifts, Military Press, Dumbbell Snatches, Good Morning etc) Will this work? :roll:

A clear answer is very important for me, cause I dont' want to do it wrong!

There is no need for military press if you are working with BW and ring strength progressions unless it is merely because you want to.

DL, GM, DB snatch sure. It depends on what your goals of your gymnastics is.

Richard Duelley

I just deadlift and every so often I front squat. Sometimes I throw in some high pulls (from the ground) if I have the time/energy. I deadlift every 7-10 days and alternate between fatbar and heavy.