• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introduction

Gavin Fraser

Gavin Fraser

Hi All!

Just wanted to make myself known :)

Ive just recently started with calisthenics. I'm coming from a bodybuilding background and have decided bodyweight exercise is becoming my preference.

Im 35 and I'm starting to feel the toll of weight training (lifting 400lbs just for the sake of it & eating a ton of calories).

i think this will offer me the opportunity to workout in my yard and not spend hours commuting and being at the gym 4-5 days a week when I should be spending that time with the fam.

Anyways... just thought I'd say hi and look forward to learning from the combined experience of everyone here! I've already got most of the equipment set up and I'm ready to go.

in way of questions... where should I begin? I'm not sure what criteria would determine where I should start. I have basic strengh. (20 pull-ups, 40-50 dips(not sure how these things translate though).

Thanks in advance!

Gavin

Pauline Taube

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for reaching out. 

One of the best things about GST is that you can easily do it at home, outdoors and when traveling without going to a gym. It's also a great activity to do with family and kids!

Our most basic course is Fundamentals. This is a four week gentle introductory course to GST. You will get one short lesson every day until the course is completed. This course is a great way to assess your body and discover weaknesses and imbalances before moving on to the other beginning courses. 

After completing Fundamentals the next step will be Foundation One. This is the first of all four Foundation series and you will work on progressions that will take you toward gymnastic elements such as front lever, straddle planche, hollow back press, rope climbing, side lever, manna and Single Leg Squat. 

In the Foundation series each individual strength element is coupled with integrated mobility exercises. In GST we are training for a balanced well rounded physique where strength and mobility goes hand in hand. 

We also offer different stretch courses and skill courses that covers Handstands and Tumbling. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We'd love to help you getting started with your GST journey :) 

• Upvote 2

Frank Santasiero

Hi Gavin,

Welcome to GB. My fitness background might be somewhat similar to your with a long history of strength training and a similar strength level. I recommend foundations along with the stretch courses. I also have the handstand course. That would be fun to learn. Many of us who have lifted for years with little flexibility training are very tight to say the least. Mobility gains do not come easy for those who neglected mobility for many years but they are possible with consistent work. When I started I was admittedly a bit concerned about losing all my strength by not hoisting huge amount of weights 4 days a week. I did sneak in a few sets of push ups and some pullups in addition to the foundations workout and am still pretty strong.

As Pauline mentioned GB can be done with the family even if it means posing as a bridge or tunnel to a little one during a Bridge stretch series.

• Upvote 1

Gavin Fraser

Thank you for the prompt and supportive advice!

i will make a start in the morning for sure!

im glad you both mentioned this in relation with family. Would be great if this is something that my 6 year old could also play with a little.... I'd far rather him following this than weight training. 

& yes, flexibility = non existent! Hopefully that will change over the coming months.

Thanks again for the replies!

• Upvote 2

Pauline Taube

Awesome, Gavin! 

Please let us know how you go and if you need any further assistance. 

• Upvote 1