Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Open or hollow chest in back lever?

fisheromen1031

fisheromen1031

I tried searching around the forum today for the answer but didn't find it. I've noticed that I pull my shoulders forward (hollow chest) when I work my back lever tuck. In my last workout, I tried focusing on pulling my shoulders back (open chest). This was definitely a more difficult position to hold. Which is correct?

Thanks,

Doug

fisheromen1031
The problem with opening too much is arching the back and hollowing too much can lead to piking in the hips.

When you say "arching the back", do you mean the arching like in a sit up or like in a back bridge? Do you have any advice for learning the right shoulder position since I'm just getting started on the back lever progression? I know Coach Sommer says in BtGB that you should avoid squeezing the lats, but I think my muscle control is still not developed enough (at least not for the back level tuck) to know how much I'm using my lats.

Thanks again.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

if you look at the pictures for the tuck BL and flat tuck BL, you will notice that the entire black flattens out. If you are still on the beginning tuck I wouldn't worry so much, when you try to flatten the hips and lower back I find this will automatically give a better upper back and shoulder position as well. This is because in the first tuck you are kind of just hanging there but you when you start trying to extend everything out you have to pull through the shoulders.