Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cold flexibility

Frank Santasiero

Frank Santasiero

I began all 3 stretch series 5 months ago. At 52 years old I expected that flexibility gains would not be easy to attain. To my pleasant surprise I am making progress. I actually progressed from touching the top of my toes in a pike to getting my first knuckle on the floor. That is over 2 inches in about 5 months. While it might not sound like a lot, if that pace continues I will have a decent pike a year from now. My problem is that this progress has occurred only toward the end of my stretch workout. My cold flexibility has not seemed to progress nearly as fast. Has anyone else experienced this?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Frank Santasiero,

Thank you for sharing your progress. If possible can you please share us some pictures. From experience, it took me years to get better at my cold flexibility and up to until now it is not consistent. It really takes time for my body to warm up and this is probably because of starting of as an adult. We hope to see more of your progress. :)

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Cold flexibility = strong muscles.

Every single range of motion that you can control actively with a muscle can be demonstrated with a very very short warmup.

• Upvote 4

Suzanna McGee

Just what Alessandro said…

And, somewhere (not sure where it was, I just made a note of it) they wrote about cold flexibility comparing it to active flexibility…  "Active flexibility is the range of motion that you can achieve by using your muscles to put your joint there...It is normal to have greater passive flexibility than active flexibility, but the greater the gap between these two ranges of motion, the more unstable your joint"  If you have a good active flexibility, it will be your (almost) cold flexibility.

Alessandro Mainente

I'm specifically referring to the strength of the stretched muscles more than the strength of the antagonist. in fact with a semi-ballistic movement, you can reach a superior range of movement but this does not consist a range of motion where you can show strength with the stretched muscles.

• Upvote 3