Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with shoulder internal rotation

Daniel Miles

Daniel Miles

Hey!

Just reaching out to you guys to see if anyone knows of some internal rotation fixes. My right shoulder sucks after 10 years of tennis, badminton and squash, with little or no mobility work. I work as a personal trainer so understand the anatomy of the shoulder and which ranges of movements are limited. Currently working my way through all the stretch series and seeing good results but internal rotation barely moves. There is a huge noticeable difference between both sides. Any suggestions would be amazing!  I've been doing soft tissue work around the pec minor as well as other places on the shoulder, followed by different banded mobilisations. 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Daniel, the pec minor has very little role in the internal rotation since it acts on the rib cage and not on the arm. The thoracic bridge series especially TBSSE12 and TBSSE15 works on the internal rotator. A strong subscapularis needs years to be completely released.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Miles

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente . I will work on those two exercises daily to see if it helps to improve. I was on the understanding that a tight pec minor can pull the shoulders forward into slight internal rotation posturally. 

Suzanna McGee

@Daniel Miles, I am a tennis player too… (only I don't play much anymore as I got obsessed about GST and don't have/make time for tennis). I have to agree with Alessandro, the Thoracic Bridge series helped me arms (especially my tight, dominant, right arm) tremendously… all the extensions, and cats, etc… I thought I would die after the first session. Now, 39 weeks later, it's a HUGE difference. My shoulders are the best they have ever been. The right one has still more tightness than the left one, I just need to give it more attention. Definitely jump on the TBS, you are going to love it. 

Antonio Alías Montoya
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Daniel, the pec minor has very little role in the internal rotation since it acts on the rib cage and not on the arm. The thoracic bridge series especially TBSSE12 and TBSSE15 works on the internal rotator. A strong subscapularis needs years to be completely released.

This post come ideal to me too. I was wondering for very long about this 2 stretches where they should be felt and in which muscles are they working? I ask this because I have extreme lack of shoulder extension in my right arm and for 9 months performing this strecht the sensation was "joint against joint or bone against bone". And finally one month ago started to feel better, and now I feel it in my upper back/posterior shoulders, but still doesn t feel like a normal strecht. I m doing this 2 daily as Alessandro once suggested me.