Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

wrist recovery after handstands

Ren Chiaskovy

Ren Chiaskovy

my left wrist started getting that injury feeling so I thought I'd drop training for 2 days. During the 2 days my left wrist got better, but all of a sudden my right wrist got really sore and my range of motion moving it up upwards was cut in half. 4 days later both wrist feel fine, I'm wondering if I should drop all my goals and do light stretches and dumbbell work with my wrist for a few months or should I continue what I'm doing, but make it easier? I read that it takes awhile of recovery for the wrists and that may explain why the injury came up all of a sudden, but I wanna continue my workouts, but not at the expense of ruining my wrists.

My workouts have been something like 4x30seconds hand stands and 5x20 second planche leans for the last 5 months or so. Right now my wrists feel fine, but I'm sure that doesn't mean they are.

Edited by Ren Chiaskovy

Everett Carroll

Hi Ren,

Thanks for reaching out. Wrists are a very complicated joint so this could be any number of things. I strongly recommend seeing a medical professional about this before continuing with any training that may further irritate the area. This is the best way to stay safe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Hi Ren,

Your current workouts are too intense for your current wrist strength and mobility.  Time to scale back ... a lot.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Ren Chiaskovy

Hello Everett,

Already scheduled an appointment for my wrist and other things so that'll be coming up soon.

Hello Coach Sommer,

When you say scale back you mean continue doing what I'm doing now at much lower volumes and frequency even if an injury is still there?

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hi Ren,

Glad to hear it. 

My advice is to let your wrist heal. Once it has, begin training planche and handstand with more basic exercises to prevent this from reoccurring. The easiest and best way to choose the safest, most effective exercises is with Foundation One and Handstand One. Those courses will guide you through planche and handstand progressions in a safe order and speed. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Mark Anthony Le
On 4/17/2017 at 0:54 AM, Ren Chiaskovy said:

my left wrist started getting that injury feeling so I thought I'd drop training for 2 days. During the 2 days my left wrist got better, but all of a sudden my right wrist got really sore and my range of motion moving it up upwards was cut in half. 4 days later both wrist feel fine, I'm wondering if I should drop all my goals and do light stretches and dumbbell work with my wrist for a few months or should I continue what I'm doing, but make it easier? I read that it takes awhile of recovery for the wrists and that may explain why the injury came up all of a sudden, but I wanna continue my workouts, but not at the expense of ruining my wrists.

My workouts have been something like 4x30seconds hand stands and 5x20 second planche leans for the last 5 months or so. Right now my wrists feel fine, but I'm sure that doesn't mean they are.

Anytime any joints begin to hurt is when you should really take what you're already doing and turn it down several notches.

You should not feel any pain. Soreness should be minimal if not zero. Let the wrist heal. At the very least- stretch it a little. But I would examine your current regimen and dial it down to baby steps

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ren Chiaskovy,

Let your wrist heal first like Everett said then consider on getting the Foundation One and Handstand One for proper programming on your Handstands and Planche progression. Try to start on the most basic level first. Handstands and Planche can never be rushed.

• Upvote 1