Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maltese lean

Oscar Riaño

Oscar Riaño

Hi guys, I was just wondering. Im capable of doing full planche on p-bars for about 7 seconds. A proper planche (with full protraction and pelvis rotation not yet; only straddled). I just got started with rings and I got super super addicted. I would like to be able to perform a perfect maltese on floor and rings. I was wondering, if it were possible to perform a full protracted maltese just by advancing in your maltese lean. I mean, if by going each time more and more forward it would arrive to the point in which i would be strong enough to lift my feet of the ground. Of course, next to it I'm doing some dumbell and maximal strength, but my training is mainly focused on leans, leans leans and more leans (for maltese). What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

Oscar

Coach Sommer

Hello Oscar,

Pleased to hear your are enjoying your ring strength training.

Yes, it is possible.

No, you are not yet even remotely close to being sufficuiently prepared to begin maltese training safely and productively.

As with all other things in life, you must learn to walk before you can run,

Yours In Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Oscar Riaño
5 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Oscar,

Pleased to hear your are enjoying your ring strength training.

Yes, it is possible.

No, you are not yet even remotely close to being sufficuiently prepared to begin maltese training safely and productively.

As with all other things in life, you must learn to walk before you can run,

Yours In Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach, 

First of all, thank you for your answer, I was reading your posts for years now and I am a big fan hehe. Concerning maltese, I'm still not sure why I should not start maltese training since I don't feel any joint pain or any kind of annoyance in any part of my body. It's the exact opposite, it feels super good to train and since I started with it about 1 month ago, I could see a considerable muscle increase in my chest, shoulders and biceps. I would (of course) not recommend any beginner to start with maltese training, but since I have a pretty solid basis concerning overall strength and straight arm work, I don't see the reason why i would not be prepared. 

Alessandro Mainente

I agree with Coach Sommer.

Rather than considering yourself prepared I would consider the experience of Coach Sommer of 40+ years old on gymnastics strenght training something more realistic and important. Plance it is not evenly considered a decent pre req.

IVAN CUK who is one of the most important researchers in the gymnastic field wrote a book where he talked about the pyramid of the rings skills in order of stress on the physique, well the planche it is basically nothing...while the maltese it is the most dangerous and with a lot of risk of injury. The iron cross it is considered a pre req for the maltese work, so probably if you cannot show a proper 15-20 second cross you are not remotely closed to approach the maltese training.

• Upvote 5

Julian Aldag
14 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

IVAN CUK who is one of the most important researchers in the gymnastic field wrote a book where he talked about the pyramid of the rings skills in order of stress on the physique,

@Alessandro Mainente Do you know the title of that book? I'ld love to read it!

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

I forgot the complete name, but it is a little bit old. I do not know about how many copies are available, i remember 2 and i have one of them. simply search for the author name.

• Upvote 2

Julian Aldag

Thanks Alessandro!  I picked up a book on Amazon for $12 titled "Rings: Methods, Ideas, Curiosities, History" by Ivan Cuk and Istvan Karacsony.  Not sure if its the same book you were referring to, but I'm sure it will still be interesting. :)

• Upvote 2

Oscar Riaño
4 hours ago, Julian Aldag said:

Thanks Alessandro!  I picked up a book on Amazon for $12 titled "Rings: Methods, Ideas, Curiosities, History" by Ivan Cuk and Istvan Karacsony.  Not sure if its the same book you were referring to, but I'm sure it will still be interesting. :)

On 4/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I agree with Coach Sommer.

Rather than considering yourself prepared I would consider the experience of Coach Sommer of 40+ years old on gymnastics strenght training something more realistic and important. Plance it is not evenly considered a decent pre req.

IVAN CUK who is one of the most important researchers in the gymnastic field wrote a book where he talked about the pyramid of the rings skills in order of stress on the physique, well the planche it is basically nothing...while the maltese it is the most dangerous and with a lot of risk of injury. The iron cross it is considered a pre req for the maltese work, so probably if you cannot show a proper 15-20 second cross you are not remotely closed to approach the maltese training.

I'm able to hold iron cross for 3 seconds. I trained it for just one month since I started training on rings and I pretty much got it in about 5-6 trainings. I don't know if I should agree on your opinion about needing to be able to hold cross for 15-20s to start maltese training... I think you are able to train any kind of move as long as your body doesn't suffer from any kind of pain. Still, I think it is really important to have strong joints. There is one gymnast from the UK that I saw doing a cross for 20s. He reached that time it not so long ago I assume... Well, the fact is that he can perform a maltese as well. Since maltese takes a lot of time to be achieved and he just reached 20sec of cross, I don't believe he was able to hold a cross for more than 10s when he started. Many people in the Street Workout community can perform maltese without even having touched rings before or without having trained iron cross. How could you explain that? Is it a strict prerequisite or just recommended? Thanks for taking your time and big respect for all of you.

Oscar

Julian Aldag

I invite you to post any videos you know of that with the 'Street Workout' community doing Straight arm Malteses.  As this is a Gymnastics forum, whenever we mention Planche, Maltese, Cross etc it is by Gymnastic standards.  Which means locked out elbows.  You're either pregnant or you aren't ;)  

Could you post a video of your Cross?

Also the potential injuries of advanced ring work (hell ever Back lever) can be disastrous; the most common being ruptured Bicep tendons.  The problem is, everything can feel fine and then BANG, there goes your Bicep...   Thats why, straight arm work needs to be approached much more diligently than bent arm work. 

• Upvote 2

Oscar Riaño
5 hours ago, Julian Aldag said:

I invite you to post any videos you know of that with the 'Street Workout' community doing Straight arm Malteses.  As this is a Gymnastics forum, whenever we mention Planche, Maltese, Cross etc it is by Gymnastic standards.  Which means locked out elbows.  You're either pregnant or you aren't ;)  

Could you post a video of your Cross?

Also the potential injuries of advanced ring work (hell ever Back lever) can be disastrous; the most common being ruptured Bicep tendons.  The problem is, everything can feel fine and then BANG, there goes your Bicep...   Thats why, straight arm work needs to be approached much more diligently than bent arm work. 

Here you go hehe. I know that in the SW community it is quite usual to see people perform exercises badly, but not all of them do. Concerning my iron cross, i did not take any video of myself till the moment but I will post it here as soon as I do :D.

Straight arm work needs to be progressively trained, yes, I am training it since 3 years already and made a lot of conditioning before. I never felt so comfortable tho in maltese work than now... As soon as you dont feel any pain in your joints or tendons, evth is okay (my opinion). 

This guy on the video started maltese training without having trained rings before (no iron cross training either).

• Upvote 1