Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Core Strength Upper Body question

stivers1685

I everyone I am brand new to the forums. A quick overview before I ask my question. I only really started training about a 7 weeks ago and I'm having alot of fun working on the various progressions. I had virtually no upper body or core strength starting out so I'm still seeing quick improvements which is awesome.

My question is this, I do upper body and overall work about 3 times a week. I start with planche first, im on tuck planche, and I just started working on L Sits and Front and Back Levers. By the time im done going through these I dont have much left to do crunches, push ups, the more traditional stuff. I have no problem with this because I have more fun doing the progression work, do I need to do the regular kind of work (push ups, crunches) to keep developing my core strength and upper body, or are the various progressions sufficient? Or should I alternate?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don't see how you wouldn't have time. But what I do is allocate certain days where I will practice planche strength, and static holds as well as hnadstand pushups. then other days I will do legs and pushups wioth lots of variations (FINGERTIPS, DIAMOND, IDE, JUMPING) and some days i mix it all up. sorry if I couldn't help you but my best advice would be to make a planner and plan your week of conditioning.

However if you are like me (obsessive compulsive) it will drive you insane after a few months because i kept looking at it, striving to comlete it

Nick Van Bockxmeer

do you have the book Building the Gymnastic Body? You MUST get this if you do not have it. It details all the progressions for fundamental bodyweight exercises (push ups, rows, pull ups, dips, curls etc) and gives insight into combine them with static holds.

Thanks for the replies,

I have not yet purchased the book yet but I plan on it, I ran across the original artical describing planche progressions and front lever and that was what initially caught my interest.

Currently i'm trying to do sundays, rest mon tues, wednesday, rest thursday, friday, and rest saturday.

Time is tough, I have a 1 and 3 year old I go to school and work full time so my wife can stay home, so sundays and wednesdays are my days off so I can get a good 2.5 hours of time, fridays a little less time.

I think my initial post was a little confusing, What i meant by when im done with the various progressions I dont have much left strength wise, that might just be due to my current level of fitness. So im no sure if I should do planche work on sunday, then push up pull up stuff on wed then planche again on friday, is that too big of a gap for the planche work?

Without knowing your current strength and fitness levels we have no way to guess or conjecture.

And yes, it can be very tiring.