Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Make haste slowly

Laurie Donaldson

Laurie Donaldson

"Make haste slowly" is a good plan. After doing Middle Stretch perhaps a bit too vigorously last week, I developed some pain under and behind my right shoulder blade that extended around to my right upper ribs, triceps, and deltoid muscles with some pretty astounding trigger points. I was supporting too much weight on my arms during the quad stretches (which are the world's tightest after years of lifting weights) and should have backed off on those some. Let's just say even a deep breath was painful. As quickly as the pain showed up, it went away today, four days later. I still followed my program (did Upper, Thoracic Stretch, and then Core) but I was VERY careful to slow it down and make sure I was not tweaking that spot again. I think I will put that slogan on my basement workout area wall. Feel absolutely great today though! So, yes, live and learn - I will make haste slowly. It's definitely a mind shift from the way I approached other programs. I'm loving this though!

Julian Aldag

Was this your first time performing the Middle Stretch series?  

An easy protocol to solve this type of issue is to perform the stretch series twice a week for 1-2 weeks at a much lighter intensity. Then proceed to the recommended 1xweek protocol. This will ease the body into the stretch series and you will be less likely to cause problems. 

This protocol also works well with restarting strength training after break.  (That way you aren't crippled by DOMS or possible injury).

Laurie Donaldson

Thanks! No, I've been doing it once a week for 3-4 weeks now. This was not DOMS - I am well familiar with that from weightlifting the last 4 years. This was a strain with heat and inflammation and some crazy trigger points. My hips have loosened up considerably, so I suspect I will be getting some reactions in different parts of the chain as I go along. I just pushed it too hard last week and didn't listen to my body when I was doing the quad stretches. They are very tight, so I was putting a lot of weight on my arms to try to hold myself upright. I just need to stay more aware and push it just enough. But it was a good lesson, nonetheless!

Julian Aldag

No probs. Glad it went away in not much time. Don't forget you can always use something to help support yourself (block etc) if you need to.