This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bridge Feedback Please!

Started by Zachary Ladwig, March 29, 2017 · 94 Replies · 2,216 Views

Zachary Ladwig

Hi, I finally took a video of my elevated bridge. It is not so pretty. What are the things I should fix first? Clearly my legs are not straight :-( 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Zachary, that's not bad, I see that you have the tendency to move back and forth. probably your body tends to refuse the new stretch position by making the breath harder and so on. nothing wrong but for you actually  the main goal it is to find a position that you can hold for time without spine extension variation. Also try to avoid the neck flexion, moving the chin down reduces the spine extension and make the abs relaxation harder.

I suggest to spend a daily time on inverted cat position, couple of sets of 2 minutes. it makes miracles.

Jonas Berglund
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Zachary, that's not bad, I see that you have the tendency to move back and forth. probably your body tends to refuse the new stretch position by making the breath harder and so on. nothing wrong but for you actually  the main goal it is to find a position that you can hold for time without spine extension variation. Also try to avoid the neck flexion, moving the chin down reduces the spine extension and make the abs relaxation harder.

I suggest to spend a daily time on inverted cat position, couple of sets of 2 minutes. it makes miracles.

@Alessandro Mainente , I usually do the elevated cat stretch for this specific issue.Would you recommend doing inverted cat instead? Or both? What is the different target from those 2 stretches? Big help if you could clearify this. THanks.

Alessandro Mainente

The inverted cat it is and introductory movement because you are extending the spine with flexed hips that it is one thing.

another planet is to extend the spine with extended hips. I've worked and coached many students with this problem, the inverted cat it is so good but when you begin to introduce spine extension plus hips extension things are gone to change.

one exercise cannot substitute the other. but the inverted cat can be used in a daily limber work, we cannot say the same thing for the bridge now.

Zachary Ladwig

Hey @Alessandro Mainente thanks for your feedback! I have been practicing and, while my shoulder mobility is still not good, I am able to get my legs straight on this. How is it looking now? Any advice?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It is a starting point but you do not have to move the hands away in order to extend the legs. hands must remain fixed on the floor.

Zachary Ladwig

@Alessandro Mainente ah I see thank you. I will post a video next time. In the meantime, is there anything I should be doing to improve? I have a difficult time with the bridge push-ups or taps 

Alessandro Mainente

I would suggest daily cat (single arm) and inverted cat.

Josh Earl
4 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I would suggest daily cat (single arm) and inverted cat.

Can you elaborate on why you recommend one-arm cat stretches?

Alessandro Mainente

Because one of your knee it is more bend compared to the other, this means that one shoulder has more restriction.

Zachary Ladwig

My newest video! Not making tons of improvement, but feels easier at least. 

 

Pauline Taube

Very nice improvement, Zachary! It's really cool to follow your progress :)

At 45s your position is pretty good, try to avoid hyperextending your neck. Also push through your heels and press your chest out to get a deeper stretch in your upper back. Always squeeze the glutes hard when doing the bridge. 

Keep cranking :) 

Jennifer Marie

Great progress!!

Zachary Ladwig

Newest filmed attempt. Not much improvement from the last time. I am, for the first time, able to support the weight on 1 hand, but weirdly only on left hand. Right arm feels too tired and weak to do it 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Zachary,

Your bridge keeps getting better. Remember to relax your neck. I had the same problem as you, I could hold the bridge on the left hand only. Keep working on it and it will get even better :) 

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks! Newest attempt. Can still only put weight on LH but was able to move the height down 1 set of mats without bothering my back which seems good.

 

 

Tanya Hill

Nice gains Zachery. Those shoulders are on their way to OPEN! The little pulsing you are doing is great, I find this very helpful in reaching deeper range of motion. Little more work to do to get the shoulders over the wrist but you are well on your way. 

 

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks! Here is the newest. Slowly and stubbornly my shoulders are opening up :)

 

SL

Pauline Taube

Always improving, Zachary :) try to push tall through your hands while pressing the chest out to lean further into the stretch. Keep working on this! Also remember not to hyperextend your neck :)

Alessandro Mainente

Always strive to keep your neck in a neutral position.

John Kiggundu
On September 17, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Pauline Taube said:

Always improving, Zachary :) try to push tall through your hands while pressing the chest out to lean further into the stretch. Keep working on this! Also remember not to hyperextend your neck :)

And make your glutes super tight.

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks all for feedback. Here is Newest one

it is getting a little easier but the position is still super weak. I can hold left hand only for 1-2 seconds and can't hold right hand only at all. How can I get stronger?

 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Zachary Ladwig,

Looking good man. How to be strong: Foundation Series and Handstand 1 & 2 Courses. :) 

Pauline Taube

Leo got your answer, Zachary. Keep working hard and be consistent and the strength will come :) nice progress so far!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Zachary, as you can see legs are extended but chest it is not past the wrist. it is the time to begin the exercise closer to the support.