Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Healthy Shoulders & Becoming Injury Free

Joey Gonzalez

Joey Gonzalez

Hey Guys,

I have a goal of re-joining the marine corps. I have only trained squats, kettle bells (various movements), and recently started The Beginning program. 

I need to be able to build good shoulders. I dislocated my right arm in the military about 3 years ago. I don't really feel any pain but If I over extend my arm behind me and *lay* on it it will come right out of the socket. However it hasn't done that in a while as I avoid sleeping in any way that would cause that.

I am looking for a program I can design where I can build a good foundation of strength mainly so I can hit the 20 pullups that you want to get in the marine corps. And Build a strong overall body as in the military you're always in weird situations where you body moves in weird places. Besides the beginners program I'm doing and general 5x5 strength training. Would anyone recommend a specific routine or workout to help out?

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Joey,

Have you had your shoulder assessed and cleared by a medical professional? Once you have been given the all clear to go ahead the best recommendation I could give you would be to work your way through the fundamentals and foundation series. This will give you an excellent overall level of strength and conditioning as well as work on any mobility deficits you may have. 

In regards to the ability to hit 20 pullups, I would advise you to train specifically for this rep range. The body is very specific in the adaptations that it makes, training just for muscular strength in low rep ranges will not automatically transfer to the muscular endurance you will require getting to 20 pull ups. Foundations early Rope climb progressions specifically target building levels of muscular endurance.

First things first though I would have that shoulder checked out to make sure that it is structurally sound and capable of dealing with the demands you will be placing on it. 

• Upvote 3

Joey Gonzalez
On 3/8/2017 at 7:49 PM, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Joey,

Have you had your shoulder assessed and cleared by a medical professional? Once you have been given the all clear to go ahead the best recommendation I could give you would be to work your way through the fundamentals and foundation series. This will give you an excellent overall level of strength and conditioning as well as work on any mobility deficits you may have. 

In regards to the ability to hit 20 pullups, I would advise you to train specifically for this rep range. The body is very specific in the adaptations that it makes, training just for muscular strength in low rep ranges will not automatically transfer to the muscular endurance you will require getting to 20 pull ups. Foundations early Rope climb progressions specifically target building levels of muscular endurance.

First things first though I would have that shoulder checked out to make sure that it is structurally sound and capable of dealing with the demands you will be placing on it. 

I have x-rays and done all the necessary physical therapy for a while now. They said I'm fine I just can really do any over head movements with heavy weights so no over-head squats. Other than that they said I should be fine and to work on strengthening the shoulder.  Thank you so much for the information I'll continue the foundation series :). 

• Upvote 2

Winter Phoenix

Hi Joey,

That's great you know your limitations which are important in preventing further injury. The Fundamentals & Foundation Series would be the perfect programs to start with, here at GB we have an online video support system where our coaches give individualised feedback on your form.

Hope to have you part of the GymnasticBodies community so we can follow you on your journey in getting those 20 pull ups!

• Upvote 3