Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dips with hands flat on 2 tables, fingers forward.

rubadub

I was doing dips with 2 tables up to my sides, hands flat on them with fingers pointing forward. I was calling these "pushup dips" since my hands were in a normal pushup position, or a handstand position. I am by no means a gymnast and found these very difficult. maybe this is since I do very little handstand work or static holds with my hands in a similar position. I am trying to get to a HeSPU against a wall and I think these will help be get used to going through a ROM with my hands flat like in a handstand.

What do you guys think of these dips? is there a proper name for them? I only managed 10 of them slowly yet could probably do 16-20 dips on parallel bars and can do 30 fast dips on V-shaped bars (my favourite dips).

This guy is doing similar ones but his hands are pointing outwards, I find it much harder with fingers forward.

4O2lrvJRamE

I'm not exactly certain but I don't think doing lots of those will necessarily transfer over well to HeSPU. Certainly you'll build some strength specific to that move but it seems to me that you're better off building up in the plane of movement you're trying to go. ie; push ups with your hands & arms over your head. Specifically, build progress through piked legs handstand pushups... Also, just doing dips may help address the strength issues but will not help with the shoulder flexibility required. With just dips you may end up being able to perform HeSPU but I suspect the ROM would be fairly limited.

Thanks for the tips. Reading my post again it does seem like I was saying I was doing them solely with the HeSPU in mind, but that was just a thought I had, I was wondering if these have any other advantages. I can feel slight DOMs in the more in the middle of my back today. I did 10 reps and 10 negative only reps right after them.

I will start more piked pushups again, I used to do them and sort of forgot about them, I had been doing negative HeSPUs before but could manage very few.

Gotcha.

I definately understand where you're coming from regarding hand placement on some moves. I have asked before here about whether doing certain moves with hands on bars or parallelettes made any difference. For instance, I find L-sits on parallettes much, much easier than doing them on the floor. I'm just curious what the dynamic there is that makes it seem so.

On my occasional forays to actual competitive gymnastics gyms, I've seen guys working out on these parallel bar aids.

Not quite the same as a dip station. I've seen photos of old equipment that were actual p-bars that had 12-inch-wide ledges rather than bars.

Someone with actual gymnastic coaching/competitive experience could chime in, but I guess it makes for good training for actual p-bars as flat palms forces the gymnast to really dial shoulder technique on the swings.

167%20Parallel%20Bar%20Trainers.jpg

Using planks is old-school and I believe it's more forgiving for working release moves.

Those P-blocks are somewhat useful as they can be used as a set of blocks to swing besides as spotting blocks, besides being mobile. I generally use them a lot for some of the younger boys to swing on instead since if they fall it doesn't hurt as much (crashing to upper arm out of a support swing is not fun for lil guys).

I find they do bother your wrists more and don't allow you to swing as high besides getting unstable with big swings.

They are easier to do upper arm swings on.

At home, I do my dip and support work on two barstools as they are more stable than chairs. It's very similar to doing them on those chairs. However, since I must bend my knees to do them or do them in L, I generally turn my fingers till they point backwards and perform them like a korean dip.

Dip strength like all upper body strength will help HSPU.