Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Isometric stretches to acheive the "pancake" position

lyzis

Hi everyone,

after 6 month of isometric streching I finally reach the full right split!

It actually appears that the isometric way to strech works very well with me so I was wondering how could I do it to acheive the "pancake" position?

I already tried with someone pushing down my back then I relax but it appears that this is stretching my lower back, however I want to stretch my hips no?

So if someone knows how to do this stretch in the isometric way I will be very happy to learn it!

Thanks 8)

Hmm, just make to keep working side/middle splits as that is a critical part of it.

Remember, the pancake split is a split with piked hips. So, a decent pike position is necessary. This means hamstring and lower back as well.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

are you trying to improve the width of your straddle or the forward bend in pancake?

Either way for the isometric you want tension on the adductors and hamstrings. You can try stretching against an object that will allow you to press your thighs into it, or you can try some standing isometrics like

20071204_yoga5.jpg

I prefer to reach the arms forward when doing this

Thank you for your replies, so I'm going to improve my splits and try the ideas of isometric stretchs you gave me!

I'll post my feedback soon!

Lyzis,

This video by Dominic Lacasse has some great sequences for improving first pike then pancake stretches.

SBLkYMWCNeU

Also, I am just speculating here, but perhaps a wide-leg Jefferson curl? Progressions: You could hold the barbell in a snatch grip, then Zercher squat position, then stand on a bench so the weight hung below your feet.

Best of luck,

jason

Richard Duelley

Coach Sommer uses weighted pike stretches with his athletes. I do them and they are great!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=388&p=1126#p1126

I also do the demonstrated pike stretches in the above video when I have someone to work with. When I don’t have a partner I grab my feet and self resist as best I can.

Thank you jasonmstein for your video, it contains interesting isometric exercices, really the kind of thing I was looking for!

Anyway Blairbob is right, in the pancake position I really feel that my left leg is very tight, the leg with I can't achieve my split whereas I don't feel anything in my right leg, so it seems that I have to focus on my left split and doing more pancake isometric exercices; I precise that I already have a very good pike compression and a good lower back flexibility.

Along my way to achieve my right spit, I found that strength and flexibility are two things you can't separate but which work together, so I'll try to add some straddle L exercices before the differents stretches!

Anyway thank you for all the details you gave me, I'll try to post my feedback when I could!

....in the pancake position I really feel that my left leg is very tight, the leg with I can't achieve my split whereas I don't feel anything in my right leg, so it seems that I have to focus on my left split and doing more pancake isometric exercices.....

Try rolling out that left leg using myofascial release on the foam roller, it may be locked up for some reason.

Gittit Shwartz

+1 on foam rolling. I started rolling daily just a month ago and have seen a huge improvement without the usual aches and minor injuries I used to get from stretching too aggressively.

Try sitting on a tennis ball or baseball at the "gluteal fold" - where the glutes meet the hamstrings until that point releases its tension. Once in a while give your quads a good all over digging into with a foam roller (here's a vid:

). Those two are my biggest bang for the buck spots to roll for pikes and splits. It's a good idea to just take some time to figure out by trial and error (and by pain level) what your trouble spots are, everybody's different in this regard.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I use a PVC pipe ~10cm diametre when I want the next level up from the foam roller. In fact I used the PVC pipe for a few months before I even knew that this technique (SMFR) existed, I was just looking for a way to massage my quads. I also use a hockey ball for the arches of my feet, I should try this on my legs too.

I noticed a roller at a local gym was merely PVC with some sort of foam lining so off to Home Depot and I bought a 4 inch roller after trying it out in the aisle.

I've heard of using a lacrosse ball but I have plenty of baseballs at home and this works pretty well, much deeper than my $25 ART ball.

Yea I started using a tennis ball but a cricket ball works better for those deep trigger points. I tend to have to do that behind my shoulder blades and central back muscles after lever/planche work every time now. Hurts like hell but does the trick.

• 2 years later...
Sebastian Schneider

Coach Sommer uses weighted pike stretches with his athletes. I do them and they are great!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=388&p=1126#p1126

I also do the demonstrated pike stretches in the above video when I have someone to work with. When I don’t have a partner I grab my feet and self resist as best I can.

I somehow cant open the link is it broken?