Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

serious bicep tendon strain during back levers

Amebix138

Today was my second workout training static back levers and I felt a ton of strain in my distal bicep tendon. Seems to me a pretty clear indication of not enough bicep strength to start training them. So what exercise would be best to train to get that strength?

Thank you.

Try german hangs.

They hurt my elbows :shock: . I did try them and I dont feel the strain... Ah woe is me.

Were you doing the static BL with a straight body or tuck/flat tuck/straddle/half-lay?

How long of a hold? Were you lowering from invert hang or pushing out of a basket (invert pike)?

Were you doing the static BL with a straight body or tuck/flat tuck/straddle/half-lay?

How long of a hold? Were you lowering from invert hang or pushing out of a basket (invert pike)?

Tuck bl, 15 second hold lowering from inverted hang.

15s in total time from invert hang to BL or 15s after lowering from inverted hang?

What's your max tuck BL time?

Are you a big guy? Aka not gymnastics sized or normal sized (5'8 165)?

15s in total time from invert hang to BL or 15s after lowering from inverted hang?

What's your max tuck BL time?

Are you a big guy? Aka not gymnastics sized or normal sized (5'8 165)?

15s once I get to horizontal, so after lowering. My max is probably 20-25s. Im larger then the average gymnast, 6'1 190-195#, about 17% bf :/.

You may have to try and hold less time or even wait with the back lever. After I got back into training after my shoulder injury my elbows have been really week aswell compared to before and bicep curls have helped alot. Make sure you can do a straight locked arm support on rings before the back lever.

Joakim Andersson

Maybe do some tuck 360 pulls to build enough strength? I did that before I ever started with any kind of static BL training and I can do a full BL now, so it was a good start for me.

Maybe do some tuck 360 pulls to build enough strength? I did that before I ever started with any kind of static BL training and I can do a full BL now, so it was a good start for me.

Excellent advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jocke, this is a good advice. I started out with BL, FL, and TP statics, did some good progress but after a while I got stuck I then started to do 360 pulls and the progress definetly improved!

While attempting to teach beginning BL with some of my boys using descending from inversion to tuck BL in a ball, I have gone back to mastering of 360 pulls (tucked/piked-straight arm skin the cat) is far more important. Most of the boys seemed to just plateau with tuck BL work but this wasn't a very good study as there are some factors such as lack of dietary intake, focus, attendance that came into play.

Instead of working the tucked version of the FL, I've gone back to using body levers and german hang pulls and straight arm supports before contemplating focused ring hanging lever work with them.