Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

evening out strength/hypertrophy imbalances

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

Hello everybody,

Recently I have begun to notice that I am becoming lopsided in development of strength and hypertrophy as a result.

I am sure it is very common for us all to experience greater strength in our writing arms and kicking legs and When I was lifting weights if I found that I was developing unevenly I would adjust reps and sets for the 'lacking' part accordingly.

On exercises like the single leg squat variations this is still manageable. I am having trouble finding a suitable method for the ring work and planche work though.

Specifically for example, in the FL I am aware that my right arm and lat/ armpit area are firing up and engaging a lot more than my left side even though I have the rings set at the same level and appear to be in the correct position. On the PL and HS variations I get the same effect in my right shoulder. I am worried that if my left is not engaging adequately it will soon start to hinder future progression and aesthetic development.

For Pull ups/ Chin ups again my right arm feels as though it does most of the work and there is a slight shift in my body as I travel upwards so that I end up slightly off centre at the top of the movement towards my right wrist. No amount of force of will prevents this from happening to my frustration. The one arm chin ups, although appearing to be a good way of correcting this are beyond my level of proficiency at the moment..

So, I would be very keen to hear of any hints, ideas or methods for correcting any imbalance that athletes may come across during their training for any reason. Due to the specific nature of the ring work and static strength exercises etc. am I correct in thinking that single sided work with dumbells on affected muscle groups would be inadequate?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Mark