Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forearm splints maybe?

Morgan Backteman

Morgan Backteman

Hello everyone! 

Ive recently been having a bit of an issue with my left forearm. If i apply pressure to my palm i feel a bit of pain in my forearm on the pinky/ringfinger side, i have no problem flexing my elbow without any weight on it.

Pretty sure this is from planche work, gripping pbars or dumbbells and then letting go makes my forearm ache. I have no pain while resting. So im guessing rest and then starting over at low intensity is the way to go?

Thx!

edit: the pain is on the pinky side with my palm facing up (forearm flexor?)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Morgan the forearm splint tends to have a different type of pain and inflammation, usually the pain of the splint it is referred in the middle of the forearm and you can develop it "usually" by doing reppetitive impacts on the floor or some surface, like for example the pommel horse.

• Upvote 1

Morgan Backteman

So its something else. Like the ulnar nerve or a tendon? :o

Its middle forearm on the pinky side. Where the "meat" is. 

Douglas Wadle

We shouldn't be dealing in medical issues on this forum, so we recommend a professional evaluation, for this problem probably a PT.  Sounds like it could be a flexor carpi ulnaris tendonitis/strain d/t resisted radial deviation in the planche work.  This muscle doesn't cross the elbow and isn't involved in elbow flexion.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Hi Morgan,

it is best to seek for professional help as Douglas suggested. never do anything that will aggravate it even more. usually a minimum of 1 week rest is suggested. let us know happens when you have it checked.

Morgan Backteman
1 hour ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi Morgan,

it is best to seek for professional help as Douglas suggested. never do anything that will aggravate it even more. usually a minimum of 1 week rest is suggested. let us know happens when you have it checked.

Not having high hopes on getting it checked though. Most of the time a doctor will just say rest. Elbow and wrist feels fine so im guessing muscle or tendon strain. Will continue to rest and do rehab and stretching 

Morgan Backteman

Update:  Did some legs and core yesterday and decided to try bodyweight pullups which felt alright, didnt hurt before or after so i did 4x10, tried some front lever and that went ok also. It seems that any kind of pushing movement aggrevates it, tried doing dips but as soon as i put pressure on my palm the forearm started to hurt so i decided not to do it. Talked to a friend physio and he said its probably fascia of the forearm or the ulnar nerve.

• 1 month later...
Morgan Backteman

Well problem solved itself with 2 weeks rest and starting over slowly with planche leans and tucked planches