Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martial Arts Stretcher for Middle Split

Jonathan Reyles

Jonathan Reyles

I've had friends who swore by using a martial arts stretcher for increasing their middle split flexibility and holding it for 5-15 minutes. They told me that's how they were able to get into them. Would this be helpful or what are your thoughts on prolonged passive stretching?

Pauline Taube

Hi Jonathan,

Good question. I'm not familiar with all the methods they're using in martial. There are many ways to skin a cat,  and also to achieve the Middle Split. There are many muscles involved in the Middle Split which are hard to target when only spending time in this position. In general, but especially for people who do martial arts I would focus on active flexibility as well as passive flexibility. If you can't control your range it's useless.

But back to your question. It depends on the person whether prolonged passive stretching works. If you have good body awareness and know how to stretch it helps spending time in the Stretch. I used to stretch for years without improving my mobility at all and worked with lots of clients who's been experiencing the same. It can be hard to keep the focus for such a long time :) 

• Upvote 2

Jeffrey Bittner

I think that Pauline is right on the money. Each person is different and each person's body will react differently to prolonged stretching. One thing that can be certain for everybody is that consistent repetition in the correct position produces results. Improvement takes time, but you will always improve if you are willing to work.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

Legs stretcher is good for rehab especially the mechanical version. the reason it is simply that the weight it is not axial, and the amount of pressure generated by the stretcher it is gradual. trained people do not need it.

• Upvote 1