Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight arm work vs. Dynamic work

markbauerjav

Im sorry if this is already a topic. I believe there was a thread that discussed this already, but i couldnt find it. But i was just wondering what the difference was of straight arm work (handstands, rings, planche holds, L-sits) vs. Dynamic work (pushups, swinging dips, pull ups). Thanks in advance and i apologize if this has been asked already.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

Straight arm work requires much higher degrees of strength (generally speaking) for two reasons

-the lever of the arm is at its longest so the resistance is very high

-in a locked elbow position, the stresses on the joint are much higher. It takes a lot of time to build up the necessary strength in the connective tissues to be able to handle this. Probably everyone on this forum has experienced some symptoms of elbow tendonitits for this reason.

bent arm work involves flexing and extending the elbow joint, which is the normal function of said joint. Might be a bit incorrect to call this dynamic work, as you can work in a strength fashion or a dynamic fashion. Strength involves no use of momentum, dynamic does. You can also do straight arm dynamic work such as swings.

Probably everyone on this forum has experienced some symptoms of elbow tendonitits for this reason.

Not me, my elbow is messed up because of a BJJ injury about 8-9 months ago. WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Strength involves no use of momentum, dynamic does.

What do you mean by this statement? Strength = tension or force. Anytime your muscles are exerting tension you are using strength.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

ok I think you know what i mean anyway. In a strength move such as muscle up, press handstand, pull up, etc use of momentum reduces the training load, and for the purpose of building strength you should work through a fully controlled ROM.

Dynamic and explosive movements still require strength but you need a high degree of preparation for it. So yes everything is strength, but strength moves specifically have to be controlled.

ok I think you know what i mean anyway. In a strength move such as muscle up, press handstand, pull up, etc use of momentum reduces the training load, and for the purpose of building strength you should work through a fully controlled ROM.

Dynamic and explosive movements still require strength but you need a high degree of preparation for it. So yes everything is strength, but strength moves specifically have to be controlled.

I was thinking that's maybe what you meant.

One of my mentors in gymnastics likes to classify general gymnastics strength movements as:

isometric - statics

isokinetic - movement through a range of motion at a steady pace. there are actually isokinetic workout machines on the market which the term usually applies to

plyometric - movement through a ROM done very quickly

these are not exactly cut and dry but it does differentiate between what GB would call FBE and exercises for power. Many people consider FBE as dynamic but I prefer to differentiate that.

As well, said mentor holds a MS in Biomechanics.

Emil Brannmark

Eh, I don't know if this is cut and dry... In a shoulder press you use a lot of momentum from the start of the movement to get past the sticking point which is usually around forehead level. I am not sure that using an isokinetic approach would be more effective for building strength, and I am sure I've never heard of strong shoulder pressers doing so. Note that this does not mean that you push press the weight, but accelerate it suing shoulders and traps from the start position.