Custom Workout Routine

Started by Ben Nagy, January 30, 2017 · 4 Replies · 2,650 Views

Ben Nagy

Hi guys,

I've just started a push/pull/leg/push/pull training regimen and I find it interesting so far,although I have some questions.

1) First of all Straight Arm Strength. I tried to group exercises based on their motion e.g. I put HS, press to HS and planche practise to push days and front-back lever to pull days(idk why, it just seemed logical), but I'm a bit confused since even on push days the biceps are under a great amount of tension -especially during planche. It is followed by pull day where obviously the biceps are working hard. This way they cannot recover properly(?) So, my question is, should I stop doing straight arm exercises (which sounds dumb) or the body can handle this amount of stress. Or what the heck should I do?

2) I also put core on pull days, since they are mainly doing a pulling motion but I find exercising my core only two days a week not enough. So do you think that I can do it maybe three times? Or again what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Pauline Taube

Hi Ben,

If you're working towards elements such as planche and front lever if reccomend to make sure that you've mastered the Foundation curriculum. This will ensure that you have a solid base and ready to work specifically on these elements. 

You should not stop training straight arm, it takes patience and consistency to build a solid foundation. I would reccomend to go through all the progressions from the beginning to make sure you correct weaknesses and imbalances :) 

Luke Searra

Hi Ben,

Straight arm strength and bent arm strength do not work the biceps and brachial the same way. Working both will insure you cover all physical preparation bases (just as Pauline said), and bulletproof yourself from injury while getting those guns (big biceps). Enjoy the process.

 

Ben Nagy

Thank you for your help!

Tanya Hill

Always welcome Ben, reach out anytime you have a question.