Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

planche progressions vs negatives from handstand

theglue

there are a lot of threads giving advice on how to progress to the planche through coach's listed progressions, but i was just wondering whether or not it would be just as productive to acquire the planche predominantly through lowering from a handstand. negatives definitely have their place in a vast number of exercises, and if your handstand is stable enough to allow you to utilize this method, is it possible it would yield even better results than if you were to only follow the standard progressions? any input would be great, thanks!

Nick Van Bockxmeer

if you don't have any requisite strength you would have almost no effective range of motion in full lay. There's just too big a gap between the eventual goal and the most likely beginning strength. Realistically you have to increase the leverage of the movement by using the main body positions (tuck, flat tuck, straddle) in order to work with an intensity that allows for strength development.

Ah, brilliant. I tried this last night and it worked perfectly. Only problem is that my planche only lasted .00000001 seconds. :)

Variety is the key, but doing planche negatives from handstand, even in straddle, in my opinion does not provide any benefits until you are already very close to at least a straddle planche. Planche progressions, planche leans, wall walks, pseudo planche pushups are all better tools imo.

thanks for the feedback guys. i know that for a OAC, you're expected to be able to slow your negative from starting position to hang down to around 5 seconds before negative training really offers you any benefits, and that this form of training is the preferred way for a lot of people to acquire a OAC. while the OAC and planche arent exactly super-comparable feats, for plache training would it be advisable to gain the requisite strength through progressions to the point where you can perform negatives with, say, a straddle, and then start cycling negatives into your plan more frequently?

Joshua Naterman

It could, but negatives cause more damage than anything else, and recent studies don't show that they are any more effective than other forms of a given exercise. You'd have to dial back your volume and possibly frequency pretty severely if you did negatives all the time. You're better off doing them once every other week or so and sticking to other methods for the most part, if you want to do negatives at all.

I will tell you from experience that you are going to get hurt if you keep searching for the fastest way. I've changed my tune on this, and there's a good reason.

Handstand>tuck planche lower down is a pretty good drill for planche besides tuck sit>handstand so long as you press off the floor and don't jump (which you could use as an assist, I guess).

Variety is the key, but doing planche negatives from handstand, even in straddle, in my opinion does not provide any benefits until you are already very close to at least a straddle planche. Planche progressions, planche leans, wall walks, pseudo planche pushups are all better tools imo.

:!: