Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Timer

Ciaran Spain

Have been reading a lot about GB and I am going to sign up and begin the training. Some questions I have that hopefully someone will be able to answer. I am reasonably fit but I am going to start out with the Fundamentals course as I know certain parts of my body need to be stretched / become more flexible, sitting at a desk job doesn't help.

What equipment is needed for both the Fundamental and Foundation Course. I live in a small NY apartment and things like stall bars, parallel aren't readily available. I do have TRX bands which I presume can be used instead of rings. I do have access to a gym but it's a fairly standard gym with free weights, some cardio machines and weight machines that you can only do specific exercise on.

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Ciaran,

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community.

It's a great idea to start at the beginning laying the proper foundations now will really help your training in the long term. The equipment that you will need for our courses is as follows. 

Fundamentals - none 

Foundation - To start Foundation One  Floor space, rings, light dumbbell 

Stretch - Yoga Block, Yoga Strap (optional) Resistance Band, Way to Elevate Feet (Bridge Only) 

Handstand - Wall, Dowel with Weight or Weighted Bar (5-10lbs) 

Movement - Wall and Floor Space. 

The TRX is not really an ideal substitute for Rings. It would be ok for some exercises but as you progress further into the course thy are essential. In regards to the stall bars they are another fantastic piece of equipment but lots of people have been able to find work arounds when they are not available. The forums are an excellent tool to use when you need any assistance with your training. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance we look forward to being a part of your fitness journey.

• Upvote 3

Pauline Taube

Hi Ciaran,

Welcome to GymnasticBodies!!

Great tips from Darin. The GB programs are very flexible and you need little equipment. I've been traveling the world for almost a year with a pair of gymnastic rings and a yoga mat. Doing GST without a gym is no problem ;) 

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
Ciaran Spain

Thanks for the advice Darin and Pauline.

After a bit of a start / stop  and proper start I will finally finish the fundamentals course this week. The last 3 weeks of doing a lesson most nights, sometimes followed by a full routine of block 1, 2 or 3 to go with the new exercise has really showed me how inflexible I am in some areas and how weak I am in others. I am definitely much more aware of my posture after some of the exercises.

What have others taken as their next step? Do people move straight to F1 or they practice Fundamentals again? Also what is the stretching course and should this be done alongside F1?

Everett Carroll

Hi Ciaran,

For best results, you'll want to move right into Foundation One and Stretch. This is Coach Sommer's #1 recommendation and is the most common next step, as it will more seriously begin addressing the areas you discovered may need some attention.

The Stretch Series comprises three weekly workouts that are each less than one hour. These are deeper stretch sessions that will improve your mobility, flexibility, and help you to recover in between your Foundation One workouts. Your workout planner will integrate the two courses for you automatically and Coach has a suggested weekly scheduling option built into your workout scheduling tool.

Keep the questions coming if anything else comes to mind!