Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Useless machines?

Rampage

They will make a person stronger compared to doing nothing. Bodybuilders use them because they can be useful for getting in fatigue sets for hypertrophy.

There are pro's and con's for everything depending on the context.

When I first started strength training back int 80's, machines were all the rage. I used them with free-weights, but eventually I went almost entirely to free-weights, until I undertook the gymnastic style strength training. I have not used a machine in quite some time, and I have to say that I am more muscular than I ever was when I was using free-weights and machines together.

On a rare occassion I will use one for variety, but I am seldom work out at a commercial gym. There are some neat features to the cable machines these days, and some athletes may have specific training needs that can be addressed by certain machinges, so I would not say that they are completely useless. They are just not necessary or useful to people generally trying to become stronger.

When I first started strength training back int 80's, machines were all the rage. I used them with free-weights, but eventually I went almost entirely to free-weights, until I undertook the gymnastic style strength training. I have not used a machine in quite some time, and I have to say that I am more muscular than I ever was when I was using free-weights and machines together.

On a rare occassion I will use one for variety, but I am seldom work out at a commercial gym. There are some neat features to the cable machines these days, and some athletes may have specific training needs that can be addressed by certain machinges, so I would not say that they are completely useless. They are just not necessary or useful to people generally trying to become stronger.

I wouldn't say that cable machines are really "machines". They should be included in the free weight category.

Joshua Naterman
Useless, unless a very specific need requires them.

Agreed. The only machine I think is worth a damn is the assisted pull up/dip, and even then it is only worth so much.

The problem with machines is that they force you to train a very precise motion, with your body immobilized. You couldn't do it wrong without concentrating on doing it wrong specifically!

Cables are less bad, but there really isn't much that you can do on cables that you can't do more effectively on rings. The exception would be rotator work, and even then elastic bands work better.

Use what is functional for you!

Imo free weights are superior because they require more coordination and balance. This lead to more activated muscles and teached your body to work as a unit. The stimulus on the nerous system is greater and there are studies done which indicate they make a better transfer to daily life activities and athletic performance. If hypertrophy is your main goal that it really doesnt matter and a combination of both would be best.

Joshua Naterman

That's true, but it is also good to note that for the upper body rings cause more nervous system stimulation and more motor unit recruitment(very similar) along with better carryover to athletic ability than free weights.

Anything that has your body braced on anything, be it a bench or whatever, for a movement is not going to prepare you for moving your body as well as exercises that actually move your body. That's part of why bench presses and seated shoulder press work, especially with a back rest, aren't very relevant or useful exercises for athletic training, unless you're benching competitively or lying down under cars and lifting them up.