Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Issues with ankles and pointing

David Chartrand

David Chartrand

I'm unable to point my toes fully and whenever I try too my foot will cramp up and be in excruciating pain forcing me to stop in the middle of my reps. What can I do about this? How would I gain flexibility in my ankles?

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi David,

Thanks for posting. It is not unusual for people to experience cramps when they are new to gymnastic strength training. As with all adaptations in the body it can take time. I am not sure if you have the stretch series as there are some excellent stretches that are part of our front split series that can assist you with alleviating this problem. 

Be patient and consistent with your training and the results will follow.

• Upvote 3

Gradual stretching as per front split series, provided there is no pathology. No point in having to terminate sets due to cramps; stretch them in addition to exercises rather than gutting through it :)

• Upvote 4

David, like Jon and said it's very normal to experience cramps when beginning GST. This also happens due to mineral deficiency. Cover both bases with consistent training and minerals and your cramps will disappear. 

• Upvote 3

Benjamin Wright

Hey David, I am a beginner as well and even though I was incredibly athletic prior to GST, my main week point was below the quads. Since then my knees (the front only) hasn't improved, but I am patient and in it for the long run. However in the 6th week (this week), I made a massive leap in progress in pointed toes. Previously if I had pointed my toes hard for a straddle or pike etc, under my foot would cramp and maybe even my hamstring, but I am glad to say I have made tremendous progress already. I just hope my Achilles will catch up.

Regards

Benjamin

• 2 weeks later...
Christoph Pahl

What does that mean "I just hope my Achilles will catch up." ?? Achilles tendon problems are usually caused by a shortened calf and pointing your toes makes that worse. You have to *stretch* you calfs instead!

Alessandro Mainente

The case of cramps during toes pointed it is a natural body response when the tibialis anterior it is too tight. simply when a muscle it i stretched like in the pointed toes the antagonist it is forced to be squeezed in order to increase the muscle length. in the specific case, plantar muscles and calves are squeezes to promote tibialis deeper stretch.

• Upvote 5

Great advice from the team. Darin mentioned the front splits stretch course and that would be a great addition to you training. Coach covers tons of ankle and calf work.