Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you're stuck on Advanced Tuck Planche...

Scott Kane

Just a quick anecdote that may help some of you out there. After a few months layoff from planche and lever work, I've come back to working planche. I have back issues I'm resolving, so no lever work currently, but that'll be another post. When I first came back, I was doing the typical static + strength work as outlined in Coach's book. At 5'9" 175lbs and really long arms I was having a hard time advancing past Advanced Tuck, and even those felt extremely awkward. It felt so awkward in fact, that I went back to Tuck/Ball Planche to work on elevating my hips. That was about two months ago.

On 01/20/10, I thought I'd give Straddle Planche a shot when I was fresh before a workout just to see how bad I'd fail. To my amazement, I was able to hold a straight arm Straddle Planche for about 3 seconds. I entered the position by simply straddling my legs as far as possible on the floor while in a push up position and then shifting my weight forward until I felt the balance point where I could lift my legs.

Since then, I've been working straddle planche in a grease-the-groove method with several (3-5) attempts spread throughout the day. Ten days later, and I can hold straddle planche for ~6 seconds.

As a disclosure, part of my back rehab has had me working on the stability ball in plank (push up) position with my feet on the ball slowly lifting one leg off the ball and then alternating for 3x10-10. This was done to work on abdominal bracing for spinal stability. I took this time to make the exercise more specific by shifting my weight even further forward with my shoulders past my hands as in planche.

Hope that helps anyone stuck at Adv Tuck who doesn't seem to be making good progress. At least it helped me... :D

I'm sure it's all CNS adaptation, at least for me. I am currently unable to do two sets even with long rest periods (10+ minutes). Yet, I was able to hold a decent Straddle for ~6sec on one occasion. I guess it will be lots of 3sec holds spread throughout the day whenever I think of it. For me the Advance Tuck just never felt right. It seems I am not alone.

Excerpt below take from http://www.beastskills.com/training%20archives%20apr06.htm:

I've found that really leaning forward to help tremendously for the straddle planche. Check my hands are right below my waist.

I also tried for a short while to start weighting down my advanced tuck with ankle weights. With adjustable ankle weights, it's possible to go from 1/2 lb to 10 lbs in 1/2 lb increments. While this does add some measurability to progress that I generally like in bodyweight exercises, I was only moderately impressed with this method. I always felt the advanced tuck to be the most awkward of the planche positions - as you have to flex your back while keeping your legs in - so weighting down the position didn't make things better. If you're moving from the advanced tuck to the straddle, then you may like this exercise, but trying to add weight until you can hold a full planche (what was recommended to me) didn't feel half as comfortable as the simple straddle planche.

Thank great tip! I am nearing the end of my Cycle so I can't wait to test my new strength for the Straddle Planche. I am cureently on Adv. Tucked Panche.

It didn't work for me.

After a really good warmup, I can hold the advance tuck for about 10 seconds. However, I simply could not get straddle. There was too much to bear for my shoulders. I guess I will be practicing some planche leans until the joint gets used to the stress.

It didn't work for me.

After a really good warmup, I can hold the advance tuck for about 10 seconds. However, I simply could not get straddle. There was too much to bear for my shoulders. I guess I will be practicing some planche leans until the joint gets used to the stress.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Bear in mind I've been at Advanced Tuck for a VERY long time (months). You could work the planche leans on a stability ball if you have access to one. You can really lean forward and then progress to lifting one leg a few inches off the ball. I've been rehabbing my back since November, and this was part of the rehab process. I was doing 3x10 (each leg) 1-3x per day. Good luck!

Joakim Andersson

It worked for me :D been stuck on flat tuck planche for a long time, so long I've even forgot to think about progressing. Gonna do this all day now thanks to you :)

• 3 weeks later...
ilovegymnastics
Just a quick anecdote that may help some of you out there. After a few months layoff from planche and lever work, I've come back to working planche. I have back issues I'm resolving, so no lever work currently, but that'll be another post. When I first came back, I was doing the typical static + strength work as outlined in Coach's book. At 5'9" 175lbs and really long arms I was having a hard time advancing past Advanced Tuck, and even those felt extremely awkward. It felt so awkward in fact, that I went back to Tuck/Ball Planche to work on elevating my hips. That was about two months ago.

On 01/20/10, I thought I'd give Straddle Planche a shot when I was fresh before a workout just to see how bad I'd fail. To my amazement, I was able to hold a straight arm Straddle Planche for about 3 seconds. I entered the position by simply straddling my legs as far as possible on the floor while in a push up position and then shifting my weight forward until I felt the balance point where I could lift my legs.

Since then, I've been working straddle planche in a grease-the-groove method with several (3-5) attempts spread throughout the day. Ten days later, and I can hold straddle planche for ~6 seconds.

As a disclosure, part of my back rehab has had me working on the stability ball in plank (push up) position with my feet on the ball slowly lifting one leg off the ball and then alternating for 3x10-10. This was done to work on abdominal bracing for spinal stability. I took this time to make the exercise more specific by shifting my weight even further forward with my shoulders past my hands as in planche.

Hope that helps anyone stuck at Adv Tuck who doesn't seem to be making good progress. At least it helped me... :D

Please explain what is the grease-and-groove method!

GreaseTheGroove method refers to a program by Pavel where the trainee does many sets during the sets at a relative low work intensity.

Think 10 sets@50% spread out through the day. A set here, a set there.

Coach Sommer
It didn't work for me.

You did not provide your body with sufficient time (6wks minimum) to adapt and benefit from the new movement. Scott appears to have spent several months working the stability ball PL leans prior to his straddle PL success.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ilovegymnastics
GreaseTheGroove method refers to a program by Pavel where the trainee does many sets during the sets at a relative low work intensity.

Think 10 sets@50% spread out through the day. A set here, a set there.

Thanks Blairbob!