Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle tightness after stretching

Zach Nielsen

Zach Nielsen

I have been doing all three stretch courses for about 6 months now. I am seeing slow gains and am very thankful. I am 40 years old and have never stretched at all until these last six months. 

Here is my question...  after a good stretch workout I feel really good and loose for about 30 minutes and then usually I start to experience tightness that aches and is annoying in the muscles of my mid back and neck. It usually lasts for the rest of the day. It's not painful but just annoying. It's like after stretching and getting nice and loose everything starts to constrict and ache. Is this normal?  Anything I can do about it?  Just part of getting older?  What should my expectations be?  Thanks!  

Zach

Hi Zach,

this is a tough one. Personally I wouldn't accept it as just getting older, rather I'd try to find a way to curb the post stretch ache. It's just a guess but you could do a couple of things. 

1) take a bath after stretch

2) add extra neck, piriformis stretches

3) take a look at your nutrition to see if you have any food allergies

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hey Zach,

In addition to Luke's suggestions, try reducing how hard you push each stretch. Reducing the intensity should make you feel less sore after.

• Upvote 1

Michael George 192636

I have been curious how other's bodies are responding to the stretch sessions.

I'm 56. Also, about 6 months with the stretch programs. I'm very happy with progress. However, later in the day after a stretch course, I find my body gets tight in various areas. Not my back and neck, per se, but if I do something simple, like squat down with cold muscles, I can pull something or somehow tweak a knee or hip. I'm very careful with any extreme movements for the rest of the day to avoid injury. I'm perfectly fine after a good nights sleep.

I just figured the muscles tightened / constricted in protective mode after the vulnerability of the stretch. Years ago, when I would tweak my low back, the muscles surrounding the area would tighten to protect that area until it healed. I figure something like that on a smaller scale is happening here. Don't know though.

Less intensity would probably solve it for me -- I've chosen just to be careful afterwards, in my case.

Everett Carroll
2 hours ago, Michael George 192636 said:

Less intensity would probably solve it for me -- I've chosen just to be careful afterwards, in my case.

Hey Michael,

Yes, reduced intensity should help greatly. Also consider running these little things by a sports physio just to be sure there isn't anything else you can be doing to feel better.

• 1 month later...
Janet Sanchez

Maybe check your magnesium levels. I'm just about to turn 46 and my magnesium is very low. Have been taking a good supplement and this has helped me a lot. May or may not be helpful but maybe worth checking.

• Upvote 1