Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips/Protocol for Ring Press HS?

Jason Stein

Coach, all,

Quick question about implementing press to HS on rings as part of Iron Cross training.

I feel like I'm almost able to press up --- but there's a point when I'm piking up that my arms start to bend a little and the rings turn in.

In your Cross prep post, you mention step 3:

"XR 1/2 press - During this element, the athlete will press up as high as possible into a half press HS maintaining completely locked elbows and rings turned out at all times. Do not attempt to press higher than it is possible for you to maintain the correct arm/elbow position. Please note that this is an essential element in this progression."

My questions:

1. The logical place to put this would be in Ring Strength Series 3 instead of Press to Shoulderstand?

2. Most importantly, should I treat it like a static hold, i.e. press to the point just before my arms start to bend --- and then hold for time?

best,

jason

1. Maybe. It depends if you will still have the strength to work it by the time you get to it in the ring series.

2. You could. I gather this is why there was the press to tuck planche in the JO Men's routines. Basically, press high and hold.

Coach, Blair,

So if I'm comfortable/proficient at pikepress to shoulderstand, would the next step be to press to shoulderstand, and then from shoulderstand press up into HS?

Or would it be to drop the Support Hold and L-sit, and begin with press to shoulderstand as initial element, and then work static pike-press 1/2 HS holds?

So MU - L-sit Press to Shoulder - Fwd Roll - L-sit Press to 1/2 HS - BL - FL?

best,

jason

would the next step be to press to shoulderstand, and then from shoulderstand press up into HS?

The bent-arm work is an essential first step, however it is important to understand that no amount of bent-arm work will directly lead to increases in straight-arm strength. What the bent-arm work does is increase the potential for straight-arm strength if the correct protocols are followed to develop tendon strength in concert with the bent-arm work.

So MU - L-sit Press to Shoulder - Fwd Roll - L-sit Press to 1/2 HS - BL - FL?

To focus on straight-arm strength development I would re-arrange the series in the following manner:

XR Strap HS, XR HS Power Down, XR L-sit, 1/2 press HS, XR L-sit, pike press to shoulderstand, forward roll back to shoulderstand, press up to XR L-sit, BL, FL.

Remember that all static holds are held for a minimum of 2 seconds and that the elbows must remain completely locked and straight during all support work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

what the bent-arm work does is increase the potential for straight-arm strength if the correct protocols are followed to develop tendon strength in concert with the bent-arm work.

Coach, one question please:

If I'm trying to improve my PL (currently adv frog about 25 sec max hold) would it be wise to alternate adv frogstand holds with bent arm tuck Pl on rings (both 1/2 of max holds) until a total of 60 sec (straight arm together with bent arm) is reached. Or would you complete 60 sec of adv frog first and hit the bent arm tuck PL on rings after that.

I really like the bent arm tuck PL on rings :D I'm always trying to straighten out the arms as much as possible and turning the rings out to get the forearms clear of the straps. I came across those when I reread your essay on Galimores.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

mastering XR pushups (moving onto the wide stance and pseudo planche pushups) and XR front support with the rings at 45 degrees will help loads with arm strength.

Thanks nick!

moving onto the wide stance

Do you mean Pushups - XR Bulgarian (page 62/63)?

Or Pushups - XR PMP (page 64/65)?

Or both?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

uh i meant bulgarian but if you can do the pmp then good on you. any variation on rings is good and holding statics at the top with the rings turned out is good straight arm work.

XR-Bulgarian are too easy. I'm currently doing PPP on fists (turned out) on the floor moving the fists closer to my feet from time to time. When I can't get any closer I'll switch to PPP on rings.

Until then I think I'll add Ring PL-leans and XR front-supports somewhere.