Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question regarding pancake stretch

Donna Stole

Hi everyone, I am new here, so I hope I am posting in the right place for this question:)  I have been working on hip mobility for some time know, recovering from psoas issues and working on strengthening up the back side and stretching out the front, and everything in between.  With that, one of the things I have worked on and off is the pancake.  I have been doing this stuff, plus yoga/stretching for long enough to know my "edges", in other words trying not to be foolish and ever force something etc...  But, when doing the pancake, when getting back out of it, gotta "shake the legs out a little", the backside is a little tender upon leaving the stretch.  But, then when I get up and shake things out a little or go about other stuff, it is fine.  I just want to make sure that that is or isn't typical of this stretch. I have also read about the possibility of sticky fascia.  I have been rolling to help brake that up, but I appreciate feed back as I would really like to progress in this as I feel it is critical to a complete recovery for me.

Thanks so much!

Everett Carroll

Welcome to GB Donna!

I always suggest keeping the intensity of all deep stretching below a 5/10. I always find that a proper warmup, as well as easing in to pancake stretching, helps me avoid the feeling of stiff connective tissue. Get your blood pumping first and consider starting the Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series. That series covers pancake stretching and provides a fantastic sequence leading up to it, as well as a nice cool down, so you won't feel as tight or "sticky" afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Everett:)  Can't buy the series right now, although it looks like something to save for for sure.  As far as warm ups go, what is suggested.  I walk every day, so after walk maybe? or jumping rope, or would doing some planks be enough?  Thanks again!

Everett Carroll

Hey Donna,

Some light cardio like easy jogging or jumping rope should be plenty. You won't need to spend more than 10 minutes doing those things to get properly warm. 

• Upvote 1

Great suggestion by Everett Donna. 

I personally love a few jumping jacks with straight arms, paired with low squats. ;) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tanya.  Jumping jacks are always good and can be done anywhere:) I also thought of just some sun salutations also.  I just seem to have this one area that always wants to stay tighter.  Trying to address mobility from all directions, and I have come a long way.  I also realize that tightness is not always because one area is tight but for other reasons such as weakness or compensation etc...  Anyhow, I have pretty good body awareness and have learned a lot and keep learning. Hoping it can be used to help others some day:)

• Upvote 1

Donna, 

You are on the right track.

I like the idea of sun salutations. Id also add in some quad stretches. For most students more quad stretching is very beneficial, specially with the hours we spend sitting! ;) 

Post some videos soon and keep us updated on your gains.