Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why did you start your GST journey?

Matic Balantic

Matic Balantic

Hey guys/gals :) I guess that in this last days of a year, a lot of people is reflecting back and making new goals/plans/wishes for next year. I was wondering, why did you start GymnasticBodies? :) Really curious about that one, even if you just started your journey. Anyone who answers gets rewarded with (at least) one like from me :P;) 

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

Personally my Coach in gymnastics wasn't enough prepared to allow the necessary physical preparation. My necessities were more mobility , more strength BUT recover from injury was my priority, i'm free from upper body injuries since 2012.

• Upvote 8

Looking for a system for conditioning for competitive kickboxing and mma, with very few gym facilities in country Japan. Wasn't happy with the tradeoff in flexibility with weights; started with the wods here, gradually came to love doing it for the joy of it :)

• Upvote 7

I was an overworking adult; thinking that was the honorable thing to do. But I was getting weaker and tighter with signs of general health suffering.  

I started GB because I was looking for instruction to develop a basic physical practice for myself. I did not expect to become addicted to all the interwoven progressions in all the GB courses. Also, I did not expect to be in the best shape of my life as I approach 40 years old next year.

Maybe 40 will be over the hill and things will slow down ;).

• Upvote 7

Everett Carroll

I was surrounded by too many other runners and climbers who had nagging aches and recurring injuries. I hoped there was a way to do the activities I loved for my whole life without chronic pain and repeating issues.

There is ;)

• Upvote 5

Suzanna McGee

I was an ex bodybuilder and then a competitive tennis player, training hard in the gym. I discovered pole fitness (pole dancing) and realized how horribly weak I am to be able to move my body around. I found GB because I wanted to learn a handstand… I started the Handstand program in August (got it for my 51 birthday :) ) and then got hooked… Purchased one program after another, and now I do them all. I love the challenge to be able to do all these difficult moves (one day… off and eventually on the pole :) ), plus also I am super excited about my mobility improvements. 

• Upvote 9

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I wanted to be awesome sauce with physical moves. Front lever? Pistol squat? Press handstand? I believe the term is unf--kwithable, lol. I've now dialed back my aims, the pace at which I want to achieve them and the need for those party tricks versus just moving and feeling better (not much of that with all the holiday eating going on, but who cares). So, yeah, that's why. Started with rather superficial aims but instead came to figure out how my body moves, how it functions, and how to improve both its form and function in a healthy way over the course of my training. 

Happy holidays! Eat more bacon, mimosas, and french toast, because tomorrow is training, lol.

• Upvote 5

Jonas Winback

2-3 months after a lumbar hernia (in january 2013) I quit my gym membership because it didn't work for me at all. I kept messing around with bodyweight exercises like ring pullups, core exercises etc, basically no leg training at all (5kg muscle mass just melted away in 2 months) and felt just generally listless.

Quit my job in Sweden and went down to work on a rehab center on Lanzarote 2 seasons (7 months each) to rehab myself as much as anything else. Got totally hooked on using crosstrainers for circulation, endurance, burning calories, keeping my back in order and many other things (doing it 90 minutes a day atm), and gradually started building some sort of calisthenic basic "set" of exercises through reading forums like this one.

Came home this april and started working at my old job again and decided to get the course material here and do foundation, handstands etc properly. Now I'm hooked on this as well. As for my previous lack of leg training for like 2 years... progressing from regular skater squats to elevated eccentric ones to elevated concentric/eccentric 5x10, I don't think I've ever had such a visual "drop" on my medial vastus before, even when I did squats and stuff frequently.

This course has taught me the value of patience more than ever, proper progression and rest/deload, and really and truly building both strength and flexibility from the beginning. And as a physiotherapist I've never been more inspired :) This and crosstraining are my daily drugs.

• Upvote 7

As an age management physician and an older man myself (age 64), I am very interested in exploring safe and effective methods of enhancing and maintaining mobility into old age. I want to know how hard you can safely push the older body and what kind of results are realistic.

• Upvote 5

Bogdan Banculescu

After 18 years of practising aikido I discovered bodyweight routines... I have tried a lot of programs, I injured my rotators 2 years ago and still working for recovery. I injured my ankle when running one year and a half ago, still recovering. I started with Thrive and I feel a positive answer from my body. I just celebrated my 44th anniversary and I guess it is time to adapt my workout to my age. I also love doing crazy movements (animal like) and I make room in my daily schedule for GB. I will dive into HS and splits for the first move. Splits are also connected with emotional issues I would like to solve, so I attack them from all sides! ;)

• Upvote 2

Richard Thomas

I used to have good flexibility, but little by little desk life and other demands ate into that.  After picking up a few niggling injuries and mobility issues it was time to correct this.  I'd seen Coaches' BtGB book about 5years ago and somehow stumbled in here. In the intervening time Foundations had developed, and the website improved the delivery of materials immensely.

Like others have commented, I'm addicted as well (Foundations, Stretch, Thrive) and loving the whole nine yards. The teaching methods and mobility results are exceptionally good, outstanding even. The day on day benefits I'm feeling make me realise how many poor teachers I've had in the past.

• Upvote 2

All I wanted was a muscle up and then an injury from my knee when I was young resurfaced. I had no money for the operation and that time I was also in the 2011 AsiaFit Convention in Bangkok. There was a lecture there about Bodybuilding versus Functional Strength and the cover for functional strength was Ivan Ivankov. That time my older brother have found the GymnasticBodies website and I told myself that I will train my legs pure bodyweight and if it doesn't get better then ill go through the operation. I fully switched to pure GST when they released the Foundation Series. ^_^

ivan ivankov belarus.jpg

• Upvote 6

Ashleigh Gass

Hey guys!

The full story of why I began GST will be out soon - as it involves MRI images, neurosurgery and lots of dysfunction! I was lucky enough to listen to Coach Sommer on Rob Wolf's podcast, discuss low back injuries.  I was 3 months post-op, training hard as usual and revising the world of back rehab.  GST set me straight, 1.5 years into it I've got brilliance in structure/function and MRI changes that are basically unheard of in the world of spine surgery/recovery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I started GST to supplement my competitive Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The strength difference and injury resistance became very clear, very clear quickly as people around me started to break. Many suffered from nagging injuries while I just seemed to become stronger and more injury resistant. The winning streak and podium placements differed vastly.

• Upvote 4

Mikey Cunanan

I started GST after my 3rd ACL reconstruction surgery. Going off of what @Luke Searra said I was a broken Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu athlete. I was forced to take 2 years off training due to all my injuries from training and competition. I heard so many success stories with the GB so I went all in. 9 months later and I have no aches and pains. I'm stronger and more mobile than ever before. And the best part is that I am able to train BJJ again. Hoping to one day step into competition again.

• Upvote 3

William Trask

The short story is my 8-yr daughter was practicing handstands and asking if I could do them. I've always wanted to be able to do a press handstand. Then I happened to listen to the Tim Ferriss podcast with Coach Sommer... and then I went out and bought fundamentals, which turned into Foundations, then the stretch series, and ultimately the handstand series.  So glad I did!

• Upvote 5

Karin Carmack

I have been debating for a while and finally took the plunge. I was getting bored in the gym with my usual routine and figured it was time to change it up. Plus, I have literally been working on a handstand for years. 2017 will be the year for me to master it :)  Excited to get started. 

• Upvote 2