Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freestyle training VS strict routine

Midas

I don't know if this has been asked here before. But I was wondering how people feel about training freestyle vs following a strict routine?

Personally with a strict routine it's easier to measure progress but more boring and chances of hitting a plateau. On the other hand with freestyle training you get more variety and stimulate de body in different ways but there's also a change you don't get much measurable results...

Are there any people who train or trained freestyle? How good does it work?

I know a few guys who train callisthenics only(can do one arm chin ect) and they swear by a more freestyle approach and that you need to work your body from different angles, different pullups, pushups etc.

Would it work to train full body every session using different push, pull, core, leg exercises?

Anyway I would love to hear opinions on that?

I prefer a strict routine. I like to measure my progress. With the feedback I get from the training I make adjustments. this helps me to progress the right way. When something goes wrong I can get my workout log and see were I went wrong and make the right adjustments.

I'm not saying freestyle routines are bad its just a different way to reach the same goal. Imo if your training just for fun keep it fun and do what you like most. If your serious and want to see improvements on short term than strict training is the way to go. But than again I'm a bit OCD when its about trainings routines.

From Ido's forum:

Improvisation in strength training

by portaldo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 am

For me, like in any field of movement, in strength training the heighest degree of practice will include improvisation as an end stage.

Improvisation should occur in two levels:

1. Programming and planning - what is called 'instinctive training'

2. Using strength elements in improvisational flows

Instictive Training

This is a very advanced degree of strength training manipulation that should only be aproached by people who have been training for many years. An intimate relationship with your body's functions, abilities, diabilities and limits is essential.

I believe that in the first couple of years of training one should work with a structured plan for optimal results. But... after years of practice and getting to know your body better, for optimal results you cannot rely anymore on any structured program, due to changing mental and physical conditions and being closer to your genetic ceiling. The human organism is a chaotic system. For advanced athletes this type of practice will include self-autoregulatory control of volume, intensity, variation and other aspects of training process control.

I believe that in the first couple of years of training one should work with a structured plan for optimal results...But after years of practice and getting to know your body better, for optimal results you cannot rely anymore on any structured program,

It is important to note the Ido is already an advanced strength athlete and what applies to him does not apply to either a beginning or intermediate level athlete. As he mentioned in the quote above, beginners should follow a structured program. There are no shortcuts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest Ido Portal

Coach,

thank you for the complement. I agree 100%.

Also, advanced athletes require more variation usualy, but there are still exceptions to this rule.

Ido.

David Picó García

I used to train freestyle, and i must say that since i'm doing a more structured workout i see clearly strength gains. I supose it depends on everyone but doing freestlyle you have to be very diligent otherwise there is a lack of intensity (at least for me). What usually happend to me is that i arrived to the gym and started to do any exercise i would like this day but after one or two sets i would change the exercise (without any reaseon other than i was fatigued for example).

With a structured workout you can see the progress, and it's much easier to do hard training, if you had to do 4 sets, you have to do 4 sets, and if you can't you'll know it for the next time you do this workout, and then you'll go for the 4 sets.

For example is not the same to know before training that you have to do 8 rope climbs, that arrive to the gym and say mmm... today i'm going to do rope climbing, because at the 3rd set you'll probably would change to other exercise. And that's a big difference of intensity.

Well this is my experience and opinion, at least for someone that is not to diligent in his training. :?

I believe that in the first couple of years of training one should work with a structured plan for optimal results...But after years of practice and getting to know your body better, for optimal results you cannot rely anymore on any structured program,

It is important to note the Ido is already an advanced strength athlete and what applies to him does not apply to either a beginning or intermediate level athlete. As he mentioned in the quote above, beginners should follow a structured program. There are no shortcuts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What about variety days?

I prefer the strict program for the progress, but its so much funny with a freestyle program. I feel it

Maybe follow your program, but leave some time at the end to mess around, or freestyle, or whatever. Give yourself a chance to do what you feel like doing for a bit at the end of the workout, or maybe for the entire workout once a week.

I find if I focus and keep my rest between sets short, I can do the four static positions, each coupled with their appropriate dynamic exercise (i.e., Integrated Training on page 178 of BtGB), in 35-40 minutes. That leaves time at the end to mess around with other stuff, depending on what I feel like doing.

Also, if you're getting bored with static stuff, you might try the embedded protocol outlined on pages 172-174 of BtGB. They provide lots of variety and added challenge.

I prefer a strict routine. I like to measure my progress. With the feedback I get from the training I make adjustments. this helps me to progress the right way. When something goes wrong I can get my workout log and see were I went wrong and make the right adjustments.

I'm not saying freestyle routines are bad its just a different way to reach the same goal. Imo if your training just for fun keep it fun and do what you like most. If your serious and want to see improvements on short term than strict training is the way to go. But than again I'm a bit OCD when its about trainings routines.

For me, sometimes I enjoy hitting a plateau, because it sets a challenge. Then, I get to come up with creative ways to get past it.

I think a program with room for additions depending on the day is good, for example you perform X sets of Y reps and continue until Y reps can not be reached any more. Instead of performing 3x10 where one could have maybe done 5x10 on a good day.

Interesting to hear different opinions on this topic. I like the suggestions made by Mark and Razz! Having some structure and at the same time leaving room for variety and freedom!

In an interesting article I found: The Science of Winning According to Vasili Alexeyev: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/scien ... w+Articles)

I found this part especially interesting:

Well, all right. Could he explain his training technique? He said, "The

difference between my methodics and others is great. What is mainly different

is that I train more often and I lift more weights than others. I never know

when I will train. Sometimes deep in the night, sometimes in the morning.

Sometimes several times a day, sometimes not at all. I never repeat myself.

Only I understand what is right for me. I have never had a coach. I know my

own possibilities bestly. No coach knows them. Coaches grow old and they have

old ideas."

Although Vasili is of course an advanced athlete, I still think one could make good gains on a simple program with some room for freedom. The gains maybe not as good as with a strict program though but would be much more fun.

Midas, I believe you will get most of your answers if you spend time reading about different periodization systems. Essentially, daily undulating periodization has you never doing the same workout twice in a row, and it works. In some instances, better than linear, but overall, it is not 100% proven to be head and shoulders above weekly or linear.

The reason a more free program is not recommended for beginners is because they have yet to really learn how their body responds. You have to learn all the signals of you body. Even that is specific. You may get good at training leg, but not so good at freestyling something else. That is why you need a proven plan.

Philip Papandrea

Isn't the WOD kind of freestyle? You're doing something different from workout to workout and week to week. eventually things repeat but not on a weekly basis like kilroys routine per say.