Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Body stiffness due to overtraining

Goran Tadic

I have a question, many professional coaches tell me I have strong body but to stiff, so when I am doing for instance martial arts I lack of cordination and my movement is really weak. So what are like the best methods to reduce muscle stiffness, as I do a lot of streeching, especially with cables and also recovery runs/rides, but I cannot afford to pay for massage.

I train 10-12 hrs of street workout/GST per week and 10-12 of cycling a week, and also few hours of martial arts so around 20-24 hrs week all together. Otherwise I dont have any problems with injuries or severe muscle soreness.

Everett Carroll

Hi Goran,

Great question. With all of that training, you're definitely going to need to stretch. I suggest the front split, middle split, and thoracic bridge courses to combat the stiffness you are developing from training. Foundation One is also worth considering as it contains dozens of mobility exercises that will no doubt compliment your current training. Please let us know if you have any more questions about this. 

• Upvote 5

Suzanna McGee

Also, eat healthy… lots of alkaline forming foods (vegetables and fruits), preferably fresh. It will help you to recover as well. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

More water, more mobility, more integrated mobility and specific stretching. Also more rest to recover from all the training you do.

• Upvote 1

Hi @Goran Tadic,

I agree with @Everett Carroll. Remember that however strong your body is, you need mobility to help you with your training. The stretch courses (thoracic bridge, front split and middle split) are definitely good addition for training. From my experience, I invested on these courses since I can't afford massage regularly. I also supplement the stretch courses by going to Sauna at the gym.

• Upvote 3

Michael Tolles

Goran

It sounds like you push yourself faily hard. Also you say you do not have severe muscle pain so you have some stiffness and some soreness. If your doing this daily and pushing into an anaerobic metabolism you can get some lactic acid build up in the muscles. This can cause soreness and stiffness. Also if you are sweating alot you are losing electrolytes. This can cause stiffness and some sore ness. and if you just drink plain water you can dilute your eletrolyes and creat an electrolye imbalance. This would also cause stiffness and some pain and cramping at times. If this is the case start using sports drinks with electrolytes, sodium, potassium, calcium etc.. Thats why gatorade was invented because long distance runners were collapsing even though they were drinking water but with no electrolyte replacement. Also instead of pushing hard every day back off wtih intensity so that your muscles can recover and regain balance. you will also have bettor gains in muscle building if every thing is in bettor balance. I do not know if this the case was just thinking by your post that this might be the case if not then disregard this post. 

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 1:55 PM, Michael Tolles said:

Goran

It sounds like you push yourself faily hard. Also you say you do not have severe muscle pain so you have some stiffness and some soreness. If your doing this daily and pushing into an anaerobic metabolism you can get some lactic acid build up in the muscles. This can cause soreness and stiffness. Also if you are sweating alot you are losing electrolytes. This can cause stiffness and some sore ness. and if you just drink plain water you can dilute your eletrolyes and creat an electrolye imbalance. This would also cause stiffness and some pain and cramping at times. If this is the case start using sports drinks with electrolytes, sodium, potassium, calcium etc.. Thats why gatorade was invented because long distance runners were collapsing even though they were drinking water but with no electrolyte replacement. Also instead of pushing hard every day back off wtih intensity so that your muscles can recover and regain balance. you will also have bettor gains in muscle building if every thing is in bettor balance. I do not know if this the case was just thinking by your post that this might be the case if not then disregard this post. 

Michael

thx a lot I am just drinking a lot of energy drinks 0.5-1 L a day, natural juices and coffee :D I am thinking about buying some supplements like amino acids and whey proteins, as they might help my recovery process.