Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How often on the rings

webby

How often do you lot train specifically on the rings? I am relatively new to gymnastic training, around six months, and could do with some advice on how often to train? Currently i can hold a straddle back lever for around 8 secs, a straddle front lever around 3-5 secs and an adv tuck planche for 7-10 secs among other things. Im 36 years old and come to this type of training from a football (soccer) background, then more recently running and cycling. I have found over the years that there is no short cut to achieving your goals, no matter what some magazines may have you believe, and that it all comes down to the amount of effort that you put in. As a wise man once told me "To achieve your moment of glory in the spotlight, you must first learn to sweat in the shaddows". The main reason im writing this is that there is alot of talk on the forum of rest days, and not overtraining. Does this mean scheduling in rest days in your programme (how often), or as i would tend to do, listen to my body and rest when i feel like it? The simple fact is i tend to train hard when i feel good, and slow things down a bit when im feeling tired. Im a firm believer in active rest, but it seems that nowadays there is a 'less is more culture'. I know this is a very personal and generic subject, but im interested in peoples different approaches and how it works for them

Joshua Naterman

You really should have one day of complete rest if possible. I personally hop on the rings a few times a week. 3-4, depending. Never for all that long, just some support work right now and some dips.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

completely dependent on intensity and volume. You could theoretically design a program where you work everyday and have minimal risk of overtraining or injury. Only problem is that the intensity would be so low you would not see very good gains.

Also very dependent on the exercises you are doing. Trying to do planches and crosses 5 times a week will not be a good idea. At the moment I am working rings 4 times a week mixing bent arm (push up, row, pull up) with straight arm(supports, FL, BL).