Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Backlever's Muscular Emphasis

Joaquin Malagon

Joaquin Malagon

Hello GB Community, I'm simply curious about this one (I'm also aware curiosity is dangerous :unsure:). I've read a lot on this forum and there's something about the backlever that I find odd. The proper technique for a backlever is to hold the scapula in a slightly protracted or neutral position. This seemed odd to me as the pectoralis major, being the largest muscle used in flexion (behind the torso) is in the strongest line to pull while the scapula is in retraction as seen in dips or in the bottom half of a push up. So I guess my question is, why is protraction used?

• Upvote 1

Hi Joaquin, 

Great question.  

Through coaching experience the best shoulder position for the back lever is neutral, with a long spine. I have seen many back levers with to much protraction and long term this does not hit the appropriate muscle group. 

• Upvote 2

Joaquin Malagon

Interesting, and what would be the advantage in staying neutral versus a slightly retracted position? Is it because the pectoralis major is not strong enough to support the forces of the lever as seen in the front lever, where the lats are heavily emphasized? Hm, makes sense. That's why a degree of protraction is allowed for those starting to learn the movement, is this right?

Edited by Joaquin Malagon

On 11/27/2016 at 11:25 AM, Joaquin Malagon said:

Interesting, and what would be the advantage in staying neutral versus a slightly retracted position? Is it because the pectoralis major is not strong enough to support the forces of the lever as seen in the front lever, where the last are heavily emphasized? Hm, makes sense. That's why a degree of protraction is allowed for those starting to learn the movement, is this right?

Staying neutral is advantageous because it is the more stable scapular position thus it would be easier to hold than in retracted position. The lats are also used in shoulder flexion when the arms are behind the body and it is completely possible to hold a back lever with fully retracted scapulae.

Alessandro Mainente

Protraction presses the scapulae con the rib cage, in this way the glenoid fossa is move accordingly to the upper arm direction. this means that with some protraction the shoulder it is stabilized.

• Upvote 3

Joaquin Malagon

Hm, interesting. I was always under the impression that when the humerus was externally rotated and in extension, that natural or most stable position for the scapula was to be retracted. But obviously I'm inexperienced and might not apply to the backlever due to the lower leverage and torque being placed on the shoulder girdle, very interesting feedback. So just to sum it up, either slightly protracted or neutral with a long spine is acceptable by GB standards and a slightly retracted back lever, although possible, is less stable, right?

Alessandro Mainente

there is no stability actually on retraction. not a case the benchpress uses this movement with a upper back support and it is clearly a true exception. the more the scapulae it is fixed in the rib cage the more the complex it is stable. remember that people often ,if not 100% ,confuse protraction with anterior shoulder tilt and strong hollow.

Anterior shoulder tilt means to activate the pec minor completely and this can lead to impingement and a bigger tendency of upper/anterior luxation of the upper arm.

Protraction means lateral movement of the scapula at the point where the lats are spread like in a lats pose of a bodybuilder. here the serratus anterior it is in he best position to generate strength (which is about the resting position) and to press the scapulae on the ribs cage. 

• Upvote 6

Joaquin Malagon

Interesting, thank you for clearing that up Alessandro, makes much more sense ^_^. You mentioned that the benchpress is an exception regarding stability and retraction. Is the manna, not also an exception in this case? Considering the retraction of the scapula causes the glenoid fossa to face posteriorly and allows more weight to be distributed on the head of the humerus as opposed to being supported by the SITS muscles and other connective tissue. Or is this another beast entirely?

Alessandro Mainente

they are different since the weight it is supported in a different modality. in the manna the upper arm it is not forced to luxation which is typical of movement where there is a strong work of anterior delt and chest. pay attention to body configuration.

• 1 month later...

The bench press in protraction will pinch the shoulder blades together and ideally when you bench press you would like to create a stability where the weight can be balanced on your skeletal structure and you will be able to use less "muscle". i.e. Bench Pressing with your skeleton. Wonderful advice from Alessandro.

Joaquin Malagon

Yes, when the scapula is retracted the upper back forms a "shelf" and the body is more stable on the bench, thus a reduction in recruitment of musculature for stabilization.

Edited by Joaquin Malagon