Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Posture Assistance Please

ryantherobot

I've got an arching back which I'm learning is caused by bad hip posture. Its never given me problems before but I just had my first day of Marine Corps PT training and by the end I felt in my lower back the most. I'm also sore in the Teres region on both sides but I'm not sure what might be causing that yet. I've been reading http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercis ... hould.html and all of the connected articles as well but not entirely following.

When I stand up and attempt to straighten against the wall I feel like I'm leaning forward.

Off the wall I can straighten by clenching my glutes and quads a bit but it says I shouldn't have to. It says I should treat it like doing a crunch but when I tried that it didn't straighten my posture that much.

1. Advice on how to straighten it standing still.

2. Advice on how to keep it straighter while running.

3. Any suggestions on what might be causing my Teres to hurt.

Thanks,

Ryan

I don't know what your problem is based on your post.

Take a side profile picture of your self, wearing somewhat form fitting clothes.

Joshua Naterman

Go to a book store(barnes and noble or Borders) and read or buy and read "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. You will learn how to fix your posture. If you are going to take pictures, take a full frontal picture as well. it's important to stand normal and to not think about how you stand when you take the pictures. If we see forced posture we can't help you. Also, a full body video of you walking forward towards the camera for about 5 seconds would help a lot. If you make one, show your whole body, feet to head. This will help us see how your body is moving, which will help reveal what dysfunction(s) are causing your pain.

Charles Weill

I think I may have had the same issue as you and may be able to help. I had a hyperlordosis from playing too many PC games and having bad seated posture. In order to fix it, I saw an Advanced Bio-structural Correction (ABC) Chiropractor for three months, and did six months of exercise and posture work to fix my back. Now it is as strong as ever.

The best exercises are psoas muscle stretches, since when they are tight they will pull your lower back in. One good exercise is where you begin by lying on your back on a solid flat surface. Next you flatten your lower back to the floor, and begin lifting your legs with locked knees to a 90 degree angle with the floor, one leg at a time. Make sure you keep your lower back and other leg in contact with the floor at all times. Good luck!

Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Joshua Naterman

What schlaffmann is describing is indeed a fantastic "stretch" that will help you a lot. There is a static version where your elevated leg is supported on a chair or whatever so that the upper leg is perpendicular to the floor and the lower leg is parallel, totally supported from the back of the knee to the heel. The other leg is straight on the floor, straight arms laying on the floor palms up, 45 degrees from the body. This helps release tension in the psoas, as mentioned. The book has a whole sequence for this condition, of which this is a part. I think the dynamic version he describes in his post above is great too, and the two together will help. If you just go to the book store, read the relevant parts of the book, and write down what you need to know you will save yourself a LOT of money in medical bills.

Joshua Naterman

Ok, outstanding initiative! But... doing that on the mattress doesn't help :)

I know you are probably limited in your environment, but we need to see this stuff on flat, hard ground. Just stand normally, feet apart. I doubt you stand like that all the time. If you were walking and just stopped to stand in line, that's how we need to see you stand. Also, go ahead and leave the arms down, when you move your arms the rest of your body may change slightly, and that could throw everything off. The most important thing is around 5 seconds of you walking down a hallway towards the camera where we can at least see from the floor to your shoulders. Don't think about what you are doing either, just walk. Pretend you are just walking down an empty sidewalk with no one watching, and you have stuff on your mind. We need to see natural walking.

thats a bit more complicated considering the only video camera I have is built into my laptop and I live on an air mattress in a 1 bedroom apartment with artwork all over the walls. I'll see what I can do tomorrow though.

Joshua Naterman

Charge your laptop and take it outside for a few seconds if the weather isn't bad! Or take the laptop to the closest library, so that you have space to walk. That would be great!