Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Victorian training

Razz

Nic Scheelings

Wow that is crazy, at twelve the mind boggles what they'll be capable of once puberty hits!

Joshua Naterman

Sure, the jumping exercises weren't anything elaborate. Davis always said you have to be able to jump high before you jump far. So first we'd work with the broomstick, holding it for each other, until Austin and I could jump over it at belly button level on me. We were almost the same height, so that was pretty easy. Probably took a few weeks. Then Davis had us hold the stick at the same height, but two feet in front of the jumper instead of one. These jumps are all from a standstill, no steps. Then we'd work that height until we could jump over it from 3 feet away. Of course, this ends up being a very high 6 foot forward jump or so. Then davis took the stick, held it 5 feet away but only 2 feet off the ground, and had us jump over that. Now we were jumping lower but farther, around 8-9 feet at full effort. He kept moving away until we couldn't clear it. Then we started spending a little time on each skill. We got to where we were jumping over the stick at the bottom of my sternum or so from a stand still with the stick one foot in front of us, for height work, after about 3-4 months of doing this a few times a week. We were also doing sprints up a steep incline in the well deck, so there was some other explosive work being done in that sense.

I got to where I could do a 10 foot standing broad jump. I was always so pissed that I couldn't get 12-13 feet like Davis. He didn't even train anymore. I can still do around 9 feet on a good jump, but I don't really practice it much. I'm getting back into the jumping a bit. Gonna make myself a little stand so I can put a broom handle up on adjustable pegs, and if I miss the jump the handle just gets kicked off onto the ground.

We started doing some training where we would step off of a big dumbbell and immediately jump for height with no pause, and distance as well. We didn't do that very long before our schedules all got swapped up and I didn't train jumping regularly after that, I just played sometimes.

Hearing this kind of stuff always irritates me off haha. In gymnastics, I find there are 2 kinds of talents. There are those with amazing air sense and those who have amazing athletic ability. One outstanding example of someone who has both is Li Xiaopeng. That guy can work through a skill in his head and just go up and do it! His Tak full on highbar was learned on the 2nd try! He even learned his Peach Diomidov in a week!

I used to think that I was really strong. I could hold a cross the second week training them and could pull to maltese 2 weeks after that. That pull the maltese was the first maltese I held also! But, I find there are people out there that seem to have no limits to their strength! Currently, on Chinese National team, there is a 12 year old kid that can pull from cross to maltese and hold each for a second 18 times without coming down!

If only I were blessed.

You 'cant' beat a man with talent. The worst part is that most of them with amazing talent and ability's simply dont wanna train or even dont like the sport. That frustrates me even more.

A friend of mine deadlifted 190kg (with 70kg bodyweight) for the first time he ever trained with no technique just out of nothing. After two months he stopped because he didnt like to workout. He could be a top national competitor in powerlifting if he trained the right way with some dedication. But he choses to drink beer and lay on his ass while keeping his descent physique as well. But thats life, and for me its inspiration to train harder and become even better than I have ever thought I could be.

Wow that is crazy, at twelve the mind boggles what they'll be capable of once puberty hits!

China does mess around with the ages so that Kid might actually be 14 and Guanzhou changed his age so that he could win in a younger division. I personally think it's a full grown midget that they shaved and passed off as a kid!

It would be interestingly to see, what kind of strength school has China. I know Italia has great school for ring strength (I think the most sucsessful school in history). I'm very very sorry I didn't have a pen and a book with myself when I was asking Italian main coach for rings (Diego Lazarich I think his name is) how do they train, what kind of scheme and so on.

There were a few guys mentioned who are strong with no specific/apparent training. I am wondering if they could be doing isometrics, possibly unconciously. I know 2 guys who are fairly strong who do no actual weight/resistance training that I know of. I have however noticed that they often are flexing and stressing themselves. One guy is about 6'4'' 220lb with huge hands with prominent veins & big arms, he always seems quite tense and I have noticed him clenching his fist a lot.

The other guy is maybe 5'9'', maybe 130-140lb. We were messing about in a room with rafter beams, I think he only managed a single chinup yet he could fly around the rafters using them like monkey bars with no difficulty at all. He also almost closed a "heavy grip" gripper further than many other bigger guys could -who you would guess would be much stronger.

I wonder if people could even be doing isometrics while sleeping, like people might grind teeth really hard.

It would be interestingly to see, what kind of strength school has China.

Really like to see that as well. Ive heared that their training methodes are brutal. Long hours day in day out with mind boggling intensity.

There were a few guys mentioned who are strong with no specific/apparent training. I am wondering if they could be doing isometrics, possibly unconciously. I know 2 guys who are fairly strong who do no actual weight/resistance training that I know of. I have however noticed that they often are flexing and stressing themselves. One guy is about 6'4'' 220lb with huge hands with prominent veins & big arms, he always seems quite tense and I have noticed him clenching his fist a lot.

The other guy is maybe 5'9'', maybe 130-140lb. We were messing about in a room with rafter beams, I think he only managed a single chinup yet he could fly around the rafters using them like monkey bars with no difficulty at all. He also almost closed a "heavy grip" gripper further than many other bigger guys could -who you would guess would be much stronger.

I wonder if people could even be doing isometrics while sleeping, like people might grind teeth really hard.

I told Steven Low I was getting chest cramps and spasms from using isometrics throughout the day. I could be sitting around and my pec would fire hard. Kind of like an overactive nervous system. I quit, it felt awful..like a serious injury waiting to happen.

Joshua Naterman

Mine do that all the time, at least a few times a week. It doesn't bother me, only happens after intense pushing work.