Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Short achillies and squat progressions

ThomasJG

Hi guys,

I have a question about squats.

Right now I am going through some squat progressions from BTGB book. And it got me thinking about my technique. I suffer from short achillies tendon, meaning I cannot squat with rising onto the toes, now for acrobatics this is only an issue in some moves (i.e forward roll front sault, which requires a push with flat feet until the final moment of extension of toes), but for most moves its fine.

Im doing pistols in my workouts right now, and Im just wondering if doing them on your toes wrecks the movement?

Doing them on your toes is going to create a much more acute knee angle, which will shorten the hamstrings and cause them to contribute less to the movement, and it will cause more stress on the knee.

I had to google this because you made it sound like you had an actual medical condition that causes your AT to be short. And indeed, there is such a thing! I never heard of that before.

But to answer your question, squatting on the toes vs. heel is not the same exercise. It does not engage the posterior chain, and causes more shearing forces on the knee.

I have never heard of bodyweight exercises causing shearing forces in the knees just because you bend your knees past your toes! I have heard of the happening in american football training from prolonged Duck waddling conditioning for the thighs. Everything I have read about hindu squats and variations have stated its safe "providing you do them correctly"

Gary

So Im useless for pistols lol.

I wonder if coach sommer has any short achillies athlets, Because I notcied one of the kids in his book had risen up onto his toes in the picture.

Screw leg conditioning then, Flips are plyometrics lol

I have a friend with the same problem, tight ankles that cause him to come onto his toes when he squats, unless he squats with a wide stance, then hes fine. Maybe wide stance barbell squats could be your leg conditioning exercise.

Just keep working on the mobility.. due to an ancle injury i can barely dorsi flex in my right ancle but i can still do proper SLS, took me a long time to learn though holding a weight in front of you to counter balance works wonders, and adds weight :D

Just keep working on the mobility.. due to an ancle injury i can barely dorsi flex in my right ancle but i can still do proper SLS, took me a long time to learn though holding a weight in front of you to counter balance works wonders, and adds weight :D

I also have short archillies Razz is correct holding a weight in front of you to counter balance works wonders.

Also make sure your not squatting in running shoes most running shoes will make curl up on your toes. I squat and D.L. bare footed or with a old pair of chuck taylor.

thanks guys I never thought about holding a weight out in front! thats excellent advice that would balance me without my knee having to go far over my toes!