Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrating HIIT and ICT into routine

pitbull

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum.

For the past year, I've been structuring my routine around the protocols in Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless. My routine was as follows:

Day 1:

ICT

Abs

Day 2:

Maximal strength

Day 3:

ICT

Abs

Day 4:

Explosive strength

I just started doing an integrated strength training program following the guidelines in Building the Gymnastic Body. My plan is as follows:

Day 1:

Planche progression

PPP on rings

Back lever progression

Front lever row - tuck

(5 times)

Front lever progression

BB squat

L-sit progression

L-sit lift

(5 times)

Day 2:

Planche progression

HSPu - elevated

Back lever progression

Wide-grip pull-up - L

(5 times)

Front lever progression

SLS

L-sit progression

HLL - reverse grip

(5 times)

Day 3:

Planche progression

Ring dips - weighted (70 lbs.)

Back lever progression

Inverted curls

(5 times)

Front lever progression

Single-leg deadlift (two 40-lbs. DBs)

L-sit progression

RLL (5 lbs.)

(5 times)

Day 4:

Planche progression

Chest roll

Back lever progression

TOP pulls

(5 times)

Front lever progression

SLS deck squat for height and distance

L-sit progression

HLL - circular

(5 times)

How can I integrate HIIT, ICT, and other RossTraining-esque conditioning workouts into this plan? I tried doing a ICT workouts after strength training on days 2 and 4 and I felt a little too sapped to give them my all. My movements definitely lacked the typical pop and explosiveness I'm used to having when going into ICT workouts fresh.

ICT = integrated circuit training

It's just another acronym for a typical CrossFit or RossTraining-esque workout designed to improve anaerobic endurance.

Any thoughts on how I can integrate two such sessions into a BtGB steady state, integrated strength training program?

How can I integrate HIIT into this plan?

Have you considered following the WODs that Coach Sommer posts? Today's, for example, was HIIT as well as plyometric/explosive.

I don't understand your program. You want to do 1x5 of all things you listed on each day?

Sorry, didn't clarify that. I hold the static holds for a set length of time every set. With the basic strength exercises, I perform 3 reps, 3 reps, 5 reps, 1 rep, and 3 reps.

Have you considered following the WODs that Coach Sommer posts? Today's, for example, was HIIT as well as plyometric/explosive.

Can the WODs be easily combined into my steady-state, integrated strength training plan? The book calls for strength training four days a week, so I'm just wondering if it's still feasible to add two HIIT workouts to it.

If you do the two kinds of exercise on the same day, optimally you need to separate the sessions by at least 4 hours. This is like the WOD's posted at performancemenu.com in which strength is the focus. Do strength first, and then a short 10 minutes or less ICT 4 hours later.

Another way to integrate is to do a Max Effort Black Box method. This consists of 3 days on, 1 day off in which you do ICT one day, max strength/power the second day, and another ICT the third day. This is a ICT focused way.

Can the WODs be easily combined into my steady-state, integrated strength training plan? The book calls for strength training four days a week, so I'm just wondering if it's still feasible to add two HIIT workouts to it.

No, do not do your own steady state in addition to Coach Sommer's WODs. Jason just means that Coach Sommer's WODs incorporate both strength and more endurance based workouts, so this could possibly meet your needs.

My friend,

Coach Sommer cycles a series of workouts in a progressive manner; broadly speaking, workouts go from strength to conditioning, whether muscular endurance or HIIT. There are many circuit workouts posted here that will jack your heart-rate. The demanding ring strength or handstand conditioning days are generally followed by a day or two off.

My observation of the many posts made in "Getting Started," and I speak from personal experience, is that people create exhaustive and overly ambitious workout plans.

After a year of experience with the WODs here, I've come around to the thought that the best approach is to structure your workouts like this: warm-up, one active flexibility exercise (or sequence), one session of skill practice (one FBE, handstand, whatever), the GB WOD, and then the suggested joint prehab/rehab.

You will see great gains by patiently following the simplest workout plan.

best,

jason

My friend,

My observation of the many posts made in "Getting Started," and I speak from personal experience, is that people create exhaustive and overly ambitious workout plans.

Sentence of the year, right up there folks.

My friend,

Sentence of the year, right up there folks.

You hit the nail right on the head. My right rotator cuff was sliding a bit yesterday, so I'm taking it easy the rest of the week and using the remaining time to rethink my program.

I got some amazing results from RossTraining and consider myself extremely strong and explosive for my size relative to the average gym goer. Based on that, I thought I'd be able to handle more when doing the BtGB program. Lesson learned.

I got some amazing results from RossTraining and consider myself extremely strong and explosive for my size relative to the average gym goer.

You most likely are all those things.

I've just discovered however that certain gymnastics exercises require connective tissue strength which has to be progressively and patiently developed. It also requires the strength and coordination of small, often-under-utilized muscles of the shoulders.

It's difficult to get the training for both of these things; I've seen carryover of one or the other, but not both, from yoga, acrobatics, b-boying, some martial arts, and some forms of dance.

Meanwhile, you've got a National-level champion gymnastic coach who's sat down and figured out how to progressively teach non-gymnasts how to do this stuff --- i.e. dispensed with the sport-specific training --- and is posting it as a free workout 4 days a week. Why not follow his plan for a month, layer in your HIIT stuff twice a week, and check back in? Commit to 16 Gymnastic Bodies workouts.

best,

jason

I got some amazing results from RossTraining and consider myself extremely strong and explosive for my size relative to the average gym goer.

You most likely are all those things.

I've just discovered however that certain gymnastics exercises require connective tissue strength which has to be progressively and patiently developed. It also requires the strength and coordination of small, often-under-utilized muscles of the shoulders.

It's difficult to get the training for both of these things; I've seen carryover of one or the other, but not both, from yoga, acrobatics, b-boying, some martial arts, and some forms of dance.

Meanwhile, you've got a National-level champion gymnastic coach who's sat down and figured out how to progressively teach non-gymnasts how to do this stuff --- i.e. dispensed with the sport-specific training --- and is posting it as a free workout 4 days a week. Why not follow his plan for a month, layer in your HIIT stuff twice a week, and check back in? Commit to 16 Gymnastic Bodies workouts.

best,

jason

Great post...

I also came over from Ross Enamait workouts Jason is correct give the W.O.D's a try.

My friend,

Coach Sommer cycles a series of workouts in a progressive manner; broadly speaking, workouts go from strength to conditioning, whether muscular endurance or HIIT. There are many circuit workouts posted here that will jack your heart-rate. The demanding ring strength or handstand conditioning days are generally followed by a day or two off.

After a year of experience with the WODs here, I've come around to the thought that the best approach is to structure your workouts like this: warm-up, one active flexibility exercise (or sequence), one session of skill practice (one FBE, handstand, whatever), the GB WOD, and then the suggested joint prehab/rehab.

You will see great gains by patiently following the simplest workout plan.

best,

jason

Excellent point. I better keep that in mind :)

Joshua Naterman

Jason gave some good advice, but I am curious: What ARE your goals?

Without understanding what your personal goals for your physical abilities are there's no accurate way for us to really give relevant advice or ideas. We are effectively shooting in the dark. So, we need to know what you are trying to get from your training. Are you trying to fight? Are you interested in getting stronger? More endurance? Agility? Muscularity? Size gain? Weight loss? Whatever your goals are, they need to be ranked in order of importance to you. An unranked list won't help much.