Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workout with joints laxity

Francesco Pudda

Francesco Pudda

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone here has any degree of joints laxity, and how this is affecting your training.

After some time the begininng of my bodyweight training I noted the hyperextension in my elbows, I swear that I had never realized it. After some time I found this article ( https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/645 ) and checked the points.

My fingers can dorsiflex almost to 90°, but not completely, so 0 points. Both thumbs can touch the forearms, 2 points. Both elbows can go beyond 180° of some degree, 2 points. Knees cannot fortunately go beyond 180°, 0 points. I can put my hands flat upon the floor, 1 point.
Result: it seems that I am lax :P

Moreover some time ago I went to a physio and told me that this laxity is what often produces clicks and pops in my shoulders because there is more room of movement.

So here my question. Can I normally train? My doubts were aimed especially towards weighted mobility drills like cuban press and weighted dislocates. I cannot, never, execute a rep without any pops or however you called them; even if I'm completely warmed up.

If I execute dislocates very slowly, I can feel almost nothing, almost. Even with no weight or 2-3x shoulder width grip. As regards cuban press, pop almost go away at the third set.

I would really like to hear what you have to say about this.

Thank you very much.

Alessandro Mainente

Unfortunately joint laxity it is a genetic and hereditary syndrome regards the connective tissue of all joints, this mean that it is not allowed to be normal on some bodyparts and lax on other. people with laxity presents luxation of the ankles during the run, luxation of the shoulder while hanging with large grip, shoulders dislocates with hands firmly grasped together and so on. local hypermobility happens when some joint has more range of motion then other.

Pops are usually tissue adhesion and nothing more, instability must be checked from a physio while performing the exercise with him. 

Basic approach: I would not stress the local hypermobility. simply maintain the current range of motion.