Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New member seeking advice

geddy1234

Hello guys!

I am totally new to gymnastics, but I have read coach Sommer's book and much of the information on this website. Great stuff!!! I have put together a workout program, and I would really appreciate feedback and further advice.

I have never done gymnastic exercises before, but I have been working out for quite some time (mainly weights and soccer). But I found that I really want (and probably need) REAL strength, flexibility and body control.

My long term goal is to be able to do many of the exercises that gymnasts are able to perform (planches, front/back lever, l-sits, muscle ups, handstand pushups and various ring exercises), and I know that I have a LONG way to go, and an insanely amount of hard work to do before coming close to this. But I love the challenge :)

I have a workout A and B, and I plan on performing each of them twice a week. Usually workout A Mon/Thu and B Tue/Fri.

I have tried different exercises to find my current strength and skill level.

Workout A:

- pushups XR 5 reps x 4

- frog stand 12 sec x 4 (I have tried the advanced frog stand, but it is too difficult for now)

- pull ups 4 reps x 4

- back lever tuck 5 sec x 4

- wall headstand PU 3 reps x 4

- v-ups tuck 5 reps x 4

- natural leg curls 3 reps x 4

- l-sit low 4 sec x 4

Workout B:

- dips PB 4 reps x 4 (lowering myself very slowly)

- front lever tuck 5 sec x 4

- rows XR elevated 4 reps x 4

- straddle L bent 6 sec x 4

- SLS graduated 3 reps x 4

- HLL half 3 reps x 4

- muscle ups negative 3 reps x 4

- windshield wipers supine 4 reps x 4

After every workout, both A and B, I perform wall walks and wall extensions along with exercises for stretching.

Any feedback on this would be great!! I want to make sure that I do the right things to accomplish my goals:)

Thanks people!!!