Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tuck Planche requirement for Press Handstand?

Daniel Andonov

Daniel Andonov

The title says it all.I was wondering, is it mandatory to have a solid tuck planche, in order to be able to do Press Handstand?

Alexander Egebak
8 hours ago, Daniel Andonov said:

The title says it all.I was wondering, is it mandatory to have a solid tuck planche, in order to be able to do Press Handstand?

You will probably have it as a result of your press handstand training

Piotr Ochocki
3 hours ago, Alexander Egebak said:

You will probably have it as a result of your press handstand training

If you do your h-press training wrongly.

• Upvote 3

Alexander Egebak
13 hours ago, Piotr Ochocki said:

If you do your h-press training wrongly.

Tuck planche requires little strength in comparison to a press handstand. Chances are that with all the press handstand progressions you will have a tuck planche. Not saying a 30s hold, but if you press out of L-sit you will strengthen the muscles which are also important for tuck planche

Daniel Andonov

Actually I was asking about Press Handstand from standing pike, not from L-sit, which is basically stalder press, but not from straddle-L.And for the strength requirement, Im asking about the neccessary strength in the shoulders/arms, not the core/low back.Thus, I think tuck planche is harder on the shoulders/arms, than the press handstand, due to the stronger lean moment.What do you think?

Don't get me wrong, more strength certainly won't hurt, and similar muscles are used despite their distinctly different mechanics. I'd say press handstand training probably contributes more to tuck pl than the other way around, although I've never measured this.

If we're being a bit flippant with answers it's because there's no reason not to train and benefit from both :)

Niel Jørgensen

Mandatory? No. Helpful? Absolutely. 

Having a sold planche whilst working on your press handstand will definitely be helpful, but it is not a requirement. 
The press HS and planche are too different skills and both need to be worked on in order to progress.

Good luck!