Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GB/lifting/sprinting

Rachel Izzo

HI everyone! I'm new to the GB community. I am actually a former gymnast looking to get back into it for fun; I've done a few gymnastics classes but some recommended GB to me to work on my weaknesses before getting back into tumbling full for, especially my thoracic mobility because I have None for a gymnast!

My question -- do people use GB as their primary source of training, and do nothing else? Or do most people use it as a complement to other training? I am also a former competitive Olympic lifter (and still battling that tightness that comes along with lifting) and also soccer player (love sprinting). If i did a day of lifting and a day of sprinting in addition to the GB program, would that offset my progress? If I want to get into gymnastics again (for fun!!!!), would my progress be offset by adding one day a week of those two actitivites? I am also a nurse who works three 12 hour shifts, s I can only work out 4 days week (and never really get a rest day!)

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Rachel , it depends on your primarily goal. If you want to return to gymnastics you need to focus on fill the gap from your condition to the optimal condition for gymnastics skills work. Add something it is not a real problem until they have a negative impact (injuries, too much stress, not enough recovery) for your GST work.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your feedback. So you think one day of lifting will stall my progress in flexibility etc to get back to doing gymnastics (without injury, my goal -- I have the power just not the flexibility and strength in some areas). 

Also, what do you think the best way to organize the program is -- do all the GST in one session twice a week and a day of lifting/sprinting, or break it up and do a little GST each day with another activity (like yoga, lifting etc).

i definitely want to do gymnastics again, which is goal 1 right now, but I truly do love lifting too (and was just going to add a day of cleans/squats -- nothing too crazy)  

i think my biggest problem area is imbalances in strength between my lower body (super strong) and upper body (weak), as well thoracic mobility and adductor strength. Just want to do the best for my body and goals! 

Alessandro Mainente

Nope , you have to try that, if it is too much  you will feel the body more tired.

For the best results you should do 2 times a week all the F1 exercises.

• Upvote 2

Great thank you so much. I'm already really sore and tired all the time – I was thinking about doing thrive as well. I eat well but I don't think the timing of what I eat is good. Like I said I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour shift and sometimes I rely on just protein bars to get through the day.   My recovery lately hasn't been good,  and I've had lots of bloating and indigestion.

I will definitely do all of the foundation exercises in one day, twice a week then to make good progress. Thank you !

Alessandro Mainente

Too much body soreness means that you cannot handle the actual level of stress, something must be reduced.

Hello Rachel,

Your bloating and limited recovery are very likely also to food/supplement  allergies and nutritional deficiencies. At a guess I would say you might be lactose and/or gluten intolerant. Try removing gluten from your diet and using only isolate protein (even in a bar). 

If your bloating disappears and your recovery improves this part of the reason . 

14 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

If your bloating disappears and your recovery improves this part of the reason . 

Hi Luke,

i already eat gluten free :) and dairy free. My protein bars have erythritol in them, I'm thinking it might be that. Also haven't been great with eliminating dairy (I'm also sensitive to that)

Hi Rachel, why don't you try completely eliminating dairy? You definitely have some kind of nutritional sensitivity issue. The most conclusive way to test for you food allergies is to get a blood food allergy test and go from there.