Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mindfulness: Self-Knowledge and Development

Ian Macleod

If you are interested in greater more efficient self-development both physically and/or mentally, self-knowledge is a great place to start. How can you improve on a particular movement if you are unaware of the weak points in your body? Some weak points are obviously more easily noticeable than others when you are a beginner, but become increasingly more difficult as you progress.

Are you being MindFul of performing movements correctly (Even Basics/Warmups), or are you just mindlessly going through the movements and allowing your body to perform the exercises in a manner that it deems the easiest path?

Self-Knowledge does require a “Growth Mindset”, in that all news shouldn’t be just good or bad, as it will almost inevitably lead to explaining away unflattering feedback and will most certainly make it more difficult to progress physically and mentally.

I would assume that most of the people hear do believe that they can develop themselves, and if so then it would do you a world of good to be open to accurate information about your abilities, even if it is not what you particularly would like to hear. To be learning oriented, one needs accurate information in order to learn effectively.

Would Love to hear of a time that a weakness that you were previously unaware of came to light and how you used that knowledge to change your training.

A really good Read about improving the potential of Human Performance, if you have the chance is,

“The Rise of Superman”, by Steven Kotler

Regards,

Ian

P.S. For me at the most recent GB seminar in Singapore, I had the fortune of having Coach Sommer recognize a weakness in my movement and attributing it to more specifically a weakness of my Rhomboid. I've focused more on exercises to help strengthen it with having additional mindfulness in reaching full contraction and extension in my movements.

Edited by Ian Macleod
  • Upvote 2

Hi @Ian Macleod

Being mindful on your basics/warmups will create a good habit that will be helpful in your training. As humans, it is natural to choose the path of least resistance because your body will find a way to cheat. For me, choosing the path with maximum resistance opens up a lot of things. Some are talking about progress associated with physical and mental aspect but what about of emotional and spiritual? A weakness that I was previously unaware of was the emotional aspect because how we feel affects our actions. Adjusting training accordingly whenever under stress is necessary for growth and development. Gymnastic Strength Training taught me all these things:

1) How to thrive on difficult conditions

2) Perseverance, determination, tenacity, resolve

3) Accountability of actions

4) Channeling your energy (good/bad)

5) Faith in yourself

6) Maximum/Best effort

7) Consistency
8) Application

P.S. - Let us not overthink things but thinking also helps. I am still learning too and thats the fun thing because there is always something to look forward to. ;)

• Upvote 3

Leo!

Love your post. Agreed that it is natural for many to choose the path of least resistance, and you would be a great example of someone that strives for greater Growth through maximal resistance. 

Hope to workout with you soon

Regards,

Ian

• Upvote 1