Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adductor/Groin Injury

Kevin Easton

On Tuesday I played some basketball which isn't something I normally do.  At one point I noticed a sharp pain in my groin.  Normally when you're  injured you know what you did, you know the moment the injury occurred, but I don't. 

Immediately I quit playing.  Later that day I was in a good amount of discomfort, however by day 2 the pain decreased a lot and yesterday I felt pain free.

I went out last night to play some ice hockey.  About 5 minutes into the game the adductor pain was back.  I stretches before playing and while stretching I didn't feel any discomfort.  The pain is coming from leg adduction.

I've decided to take some time off from hockey, Middle Split Stretching, and Brazilian Jui Jitsu. 

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I go on from here?

How do I know when it's safe to return to playing sports?  Last time I felt good, but aparently I was wrong. 

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hey Kevin,

I suggest checking in with a physio. They will be able to provide the clearest answer on how to proceed.

Alessandro Mainente

The fact that pain during normal life activities (not sport) was gone in a couple of days means that the problem it is minor but in order to be completely solved it requires at least 4-5 days more since the pain it is gone. if you re-injury yourself it will take longer.

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely in the re-injure phase.   

Im taking two weeks off from sports and then going to re-evaluate.    I don't want this turning into a chronic issue.  

I have been thinking about this and it had me wondering.

I have very very low mobility.  I spent my entire teenage years and 20's lifting heavy weights and never stretching.  The weird thing is that I rarely had any sort of muscle injuries.  Even though my mobility sucked I feel like I was really solid within my ROM.

I have been stretching, specifically the FS and MS series.  I have made some mobility advancements, although small, they are advancements.    I. have noticed that I have also felt like I have had some minor muscle strains that I never really had in the past.

I am wondering if I have increased my ROM within those muscle groups, but I have given myself times to develop strength withing the new ROM and that's why I am getting these strains.  Does that make sense?  My ROM increased, but I haven't developed the muscle strength within that new ROM and hence I am getting some muscle strains because I am weak at the maximal stretch?

On 10/31/2016 at 4:55 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The fact that pain during normal life activities (not sport) was gone in a couple of days means that the problem it is minor but in order to be completely solved it requires at least 4-5 days more since the pain it is gone. if you re-injury yourself it will take longer.

I noticed in a post you made October 25th you mentioned you had to overcome a groin injury.

Are you able to outline how you rehabbed your injury?

When I stretch (lightly) my groin I don't have much discomfort.  When I adduct my leg, that's where the pain is - during muscle contraction.  I am shutting down any lower body exercising for two weeks, but I want to make sure I take care of this properly so I don't get into a chronic issue.