Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Rolling IT bands worth it?

Jason Dupree

Title should be self explanatory. But to be more clear, what benefits are there to doing so that outweigh the urge to murder whoever is rolling you out?

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee

I do roll them regularly (plus the TFL, because it is such a big piece of tissue)… You notice that the healthier your tissue is (fewer trigger points), the less painful it will be. You may eventually even enjoy :)

Randeep Walia

I have definitely noticed the pain subside over time. But I never noticed the benefit of restoring elasticity to the fascia in this area. I know there must be benefits but I never made a correlation between foam rolling and, say, enhanced mobility or better strength performance.

That's what I've been getting at, I always only hear some variation of "because it's good for you" or "it'll hurt less eventually" but never any tangible benefits. Just wondered what those benefits are and if it's worth it. If it's worth it I'll definitely do it. @Alessandro Mainente it's myofascial release to the lateral side of the upper leg

That was an interesting read @Ryan Bailey, thank you. Do you use MFR in your practice? If so what protocols do you find effective? Frequency intensity etc. Do you have any thoughts on specifically what releasing the IT would benefit? I asked another physical therapist today and he said basically that it's so thick and tight naturally that you're not really going to make a difference anyway. I understand the benefits of rolling softer tissues, in fact I was introduced to MFR by a therapist who helped get rid of some serious knots (and pain) in my traps from bass drumming.

Alessandro Mainente

The best approach to take benefits from rolling it is to pair it with a good following stretching session. a good idea can be roll some legs muscles like calves, hamstring, quads and then perform the front split series.

self rolling it is more protective form for your brain. it does not have the same benefits of a physio manipulating you.

• Upvote 2

Jonas Winback

I suppose it depends on why you’re foam rolling. Various studies have focused on different aspects of it, like it affects DOMS, muscle length or recovery between exercise sessions. Personally I use to try to recover more between crosstraining workouts (I do 90 minutes a day), and for that type of purpose it might have an effect, but it needs to be studied more. Anecdotally I find that I benefit from it, and the patients to whom I show the techniques feel that it helps them (although there it's mostly against pain / trigger Points etc).

I'm pasting 3 fairly recent studies (if you do a pubmed search you'll find more, but there's not a huge amount of them on this subject). One does not show an improvement in performance, and another one does show it (including an effect on DOMS). One shows an increase in arterial diameter. Basically, more research needs to be done.

Some speculations from the authors of the third study:

“foam rolling may have a systemic biochemical effect.24,33 Massage-related biochemical changes include (1) increased circulating neutrophil levels24; (2) smaller increases in postexercise plasma creatine kinase24; (3) activated mechanosensory sensors that signal transcription of COX7B and ND1, indicating that new mitochondria are being formed and presumably accelerating the healing of the muscle33; and (4) less active heat-shock proteins and immune cytokines, reflecting less cellular stress and inflammation.33 These biochemical changes were due to massage that applied constant pressure to the muscle. Perhaps the constant pressure on the muscle from foam rolling resulted in biochemical changes similar to those reported earlier.”

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 May;48(5 Suppl 1):1070. doi: 10.1249/01.mss.0000488219.26597.5b.

The Effects of Foam-Rolling on Femoral Endothelial Function: 3816 Board #255 June 4, 9: 30 AM - 11: 00 AM.

Thistlethwaite J1, Vonderhaar R, Hockenberry K, Rindler L, Cayot T, Nelson B.

Foam rolling has become a popular warm-up/cool-down modality for individuals due to its claims of increasing blood flow to the rolled area.

PURPOSE: To determine the effects of foam rolling on femoral endothelial function over a six week period.

METHODS: Six subjects (24.5±2.9 yrs) performed a foam rolling protocol using a PVC pipe three times per week for six weeks. Flow mediated dilation (FMD) measurements were performed prior to the start of the study, after three weeks of rolling, and at the end of the study. The protocol consisted of three minutes of rolling on four different muscle groups (iliotibial band, adductors, hamstrings, and quadriceps). FMD was recorded via Doppler Ultrasonography with arterial diameters being measured in real-time.

RESULTS: Initial diameter of the femoral artery increased (7.7± 0.4mm to 8.5± 0.4mm) over the course of six weeks (p<0.05) while peak diameter remained statistically the same (8.8± 0.4mm to 8.9± 0.6 mm), which led to a decrease in %FMD (13.7± 2.48% to 5.31± 2.26%).

CONCLUSION: Chronic foam rolling resulted in an increased resting arterial diameter without a subsequent change in peak arterial diameter. Further testing is required to elucidate the exact mechanism of this phenomenon.

The Effect Of Foam Rolling On Recovery Between Two 800-m Runs: 1298 Board #1 June 2, 8: 00 AM - 10: 00 AM

D’Amico, Anthony; Matthews, Tracey; Wood, Richard; Paolone, Vincent FACSM

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 May;48(5 Suppl 1):337-8. doi: 10.1249/01.mss.0000486023.31192.7d. No abstract available.

With the increased popularity of foam rolling as a means of recovery, it is important to establish the exact manner in which the practice is useful.

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of foam rolling on recovery between two 800 m runs.

METHODS: Sixteen male middle distance runners (mean±sd; age, 20.5±.5 years; 800 m run time, 145.2±1.8 seconds) participated in the study, using a randomized, crossover design. The subjects completed two 800 m runs on a treadmill, separated by a 30 min rest, during which time a foam rolling protocol or passive rest period was performed. The speed of each run was as fast as possible. Subjects had access to speed controls, but were blinded to the actual speed. Blood lactate concentration and V[Combining Dot Above]CO2 were measured prior to and following each run. Stride length, running economy, 800 m run time, and hip extension were measured during each run.

RESULTS: V[Combining Dot Above]CO2, stride length, running economy, 800 m run time, and hip extension were not significantly different between conditions (p > .05). For blood lactate, no statistical interaction was found between condition and time (p > .05).

CONCLUSIONS: Foam rolling between two 800 m runs separated by 30 min performed by trained male runners does not alter performance.

J Athl Train. 2015 Jan;50(1):5-13. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-50.1.01. Epub 2014 Nov 21.

Foam rolling for delayed-onset muscle soreness and recovery of dynamic performance measures.

Pearcey GE1, Bradbury-Squires DJ, Kawamoto JE, Drinkwater EJ, Behm DG, Button DC.

Abstract

CONTEXT: 

After an intense bout of exercise, foam rolling is thought to alleviate muscle fatigue and soreness (ie, delayed-onset muscle soreness [DOMS]) and improve muscular performance. Potentially, foam rolling may be an effective therapeutic modality to reduce DOMS while enhancing the recovery of muscular performance.

OBJECTIVE: 

To examine the effects of foam rolling as a recovery tool after an intense exercise protocol through assessment of pressure-pain threshold, sprint time, change-of-direction speed, power, and dynamic strength-endurance.

DESIGN: 

Controlled laboratory study.

SETTING: 

University laboratory.

PATIENTS OR OTHER PARTICIPANTS: 

A total of 8 healthy, physically active males (age = 22.1 ± 2.5 years, height = 177.0 ± 7.5 cm, mass = 88.4 ± 11.4 kg) participated.

INTERVENTION(S): 

Participants performed 2 conditions, separated by 4 weeks, involving 10 sets of 10 repetitions of back squats at 60% of their 1-repetition maximum, followed by either no foam rolling or 20 minutes of foam rolling immediately, 24, and 48 hours postexercise.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): 

Pressure-pain threshold, sprint speed (30-m sprint time), power (broad-jump distance), change-of-direction speed (T-test), and dynamic strength-endurance.

RESULTS: 

Foam rolling substantially improved quadriceps muscle tenderness by a moderate to large amount in the days after fatigue (Cohen d range, 0.59 to 0.84). Substantial effects ranged from small to large in sprint time (Cohen d range, 0.68 to 0.77), power (Cohen d range, 0.48 to 0.87), and dynamic strength-endurance (Cohen d = 0.54).

CONCLUSIONS: 

Foam rolling effectively reduced DOMS and associated decrements in most dynamic performance measures.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

The study it is interesting but it does not reflect a large amount population, so basically it will not make statistics.

Foam rolling is under a lot of studies. for now focus more on pure stretch that was studied more deeper.

Jonas Winback

For sure, all studies are interesting regardless of sample size, even if the results aren't always as clear as large studies and review articles. Let's just hope more researchers keep studying the subject, since it's of interest. Personally I'd rather see more studies focused on the recovery aspect of it, but that's all based on our personal preferences.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jason Dupree said:

That was an interesting read @Ryan Bailey, thank you. Do you use MFR in your practice? If so what protocols do you find effective? Frequency intensity etc. Do you have any thoughts on specifically what releasing the IT would benefit? I asked another physical therapist today and he said basically that it's so thick and tight naturally that you're not really going to make a difference anyway.

I am not a fan of foam rolling, because in the gym, I see more people foam rolling than I see stretching for 45 minutes. (I guess that is not the foam rolls' fault). 

For sports and especially adult athletes:

1) I first recommend at least 90-140 minutes of specific stretch sessions per week,

then in the case of injury or adhered soft tissues:

2) Soft tissue work with any good, qualified practitioner to gain full motion,

3) Then explore self soft tissue work with a tool that works to self mobilize the tissues towards full Range of Motion.

In regards to more of your question, "releasing the IT band" is a myth. Right now lie down on a foam roll on the outside of your leg while studying an anatomy drawing. Tell me the IT band is the only structure being worked.

Stiffness is not caused by a tight IT band; it is caused by a lack of a stretching practice.

Foam Roling Protocols are individualized (but studies are usually using 30 -120 seconds).

• Upvote 3

Jonas Winback

The newest experimental study I could find on range of motion:

Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016 Aug;11(4):544-51.

SPECIFIC AND CROSS-OVER EFFECTS OF FOAM ROLLING ON ANKLE DORSIFLEXION RANGE OF MOTION.

Kelly S1, Beardsley C2.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Flexibility is an important physical quality. Self-myofascial release (SMFR) methods such as foam rolling (FR) increase flexibility acutely but how long such increases in range of motion (ROM) last is unclear. Static stretching (SS) also increases flexibility acutely and produces a cross-over effect to contralateral limbs. FR may also produce a cross-over effect to contralateral limbs but this has not yet been identified.

PURPOSE:

To explore the potential cross-over effect of SMFR by investigating the effects of a FR treatment on the ipsilateral limb of 3 bouts of 30 seconds on changes in ipsilateral and contralateral ankle DF ROM and to assess the time-course of those effects up to 20 minutes post-treatment.

METHODS:

A within- and between-subject design was carried out in a convenience sample of 26 subjects, allocated into FR (n=13) and control (CON, n=13) groups. Ankle DF ROM was recorded at baseline with the in-line weight-bearing lunge test for both ipsilateral and contralateral legs and at 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes following either a two-minute seated rest (CON) or 3 3 30 seconds of FR of the plantar flexors of the dominant leg (FR). Repeated measures ANOVA was used to examine differences in ankle DF ROM.

RESULTS:

No significant between-group effect was seen following the intervention. However, a significant within-group effect (p<0.05) in the FR group was seen between baseline and all post-treatment time-points (0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes). Significant within-group effects (p<0.05) were also seen in the ipsilateral leg between baseline and at all post-treatment time-points, and in the contralateral leg up to 10 minutes post-treatment, indicating the presence of a cross-over effect.

CONCLUSIONS:

FR improves ankle DF ROM for at least 20 minutes in the ipsilateral limb and up to 10 minutes in the contralateral limb, indicating that FR produces a cross-over effect into the contralateral limb. The mechanism producing these cross-over effects is unclear but may involve increased stretch tolerance, as observed following SS.

LEVELS OF EVIDENCE:

2c.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4970845/

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

if you search carefully there is also a good study which compared foam rolling results on dorsi flexion, the foam rolloing + stretching and stretching alone. they found that the combination it is pretty good with more results.

• Upvote 1