Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Impingement

Sean Murphey

Sean Murphey

Well after 2 years of unfettered GB training, something has gone wrong in my right shoulder. Feels like your basic impingement injury, that I stupidly trained through, now it's a lot worse.

I am doing some intelligent physical therapy to get over it, but my question is what should I be doing in foundation training? Don't want to put any more strain on my shoulder, but don't want to lose progress.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hi Sean,

Work closely with your doctor and avoid causing pain to the joint during training. You may have to completely remove some exercises from your training for now but that is better than causing long term damage by pushing through pain.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sean Murphey said:

I am doing some intelligent physical therapy to get over it, but my question is what should I be doing in foundation training? Don't want to put any more strain on my shoulder, but don't want to lose progress.

Hey Sean, isometrics help relieve pain as well as provide adequate load for tendon health. This can be accomplished (by compleating a "hold") in a pain free range of a specific foundation element you would like to work on; as too not lose too much strength during injury.

• Upvote 2

Phillip Morrison
10 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Hey Sean, isometrics help relieve pain as well as provide adequate load for tendon health. This can be accomplished (by compleating a "hold") in a pain free range of a specific foundation element you would like to work on; as too not lose too much strength during injury.

Great advice.  I found myself in a similar situation 2 months into GB earlier this year.  Essentially, I'm doing what Ryan recommends here and, after some struggles with consistency, I'm training again, and pain-free ROM is improving.  It is a slow process back to normal though.

• Upvote 1

Sean Murphey

Thanks for the response. Most of my foundation level elements are either negatives or isometric holds. I feel like i could do a few elements that wouldn't stress my shoulder in the ROM where it's painful, but i'm curious whether the added stress to the shoulder is worth it even if there isn't pain in the specific ROM

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 9:43 PM, Ryan Bailey said:

@Ryan Bailey By this, do you just mean beginning foundation stuff? Having trouble seeing how isometrics play into HS and upper level HBP/planche/rc

5 hours ago, Sean Murphey said:

Ryan Bailey By this, do you just mean beginning foundation stuff? Having trouble seeing how isometrics play into HS and upper level HBP/planche/rc

Hi Sean,

Yes, I am pretty much talking about the basics if you have pain or an injury.  Maybe it is too difficult to explain without showing you in person.

Example, I have used  isometrics in modified ranges of press Handstand PE 1, in the pain free range, building up time for infraspinatus tendinopathy ( for analgesic and tendon-loading, healing effects).  I have also used  RC PE5  static holds, modified with elbows below 90 degrees, for impingement type symptoms. Tendon injuries specifically need a load to improve healing and to maintain strength. I do not know about your specific case or injury however.

Maybe you need a lighter load; gentle resistance with a more open kinetic chain type movement if it is a bad case?

Let your physio know about your goals and your current Foundation progressions. They will better understand your diagnosis and know what to do for you.

• Upvote 2