Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questionable volume on my 5x5 program

GetFit01

I am on a day-on/day-off schedule with 5x5. So far I have completed 4 workouts, meaning I am already into my second week. I'm currently doing: Pull ups/HSPU and Dips/Rows, all weighted.

Here is my workout structure (pull up example):

1x5 BW + 12.5

1x5 BW + 25

5x5 BW + 35

I had a question on frequency. I'm training 5x5 on my heaviest weight, but the other two weights are pretty high up there. If you think in terms of added body weight:

12.5 + (145) = 157.5

25 + (145) = 170

35 + (145) = 180

This is way different than the actual 5x5 weightlifting program, in which if you could bench 200 it would go something like:

1x5 75

1x5 150

5x5 200

in which the max weight is no where close to the "warmup" weights.

It's almost as if I feel as though I am cheating the 5x5 program because 157.5 is almost 170 which is almost 180, so in essence I'm really doing 7 sets of my 5 rep max. This could or may not be a bad thing, since I might need more volume (3x5 seems way too light), but I'm just questioning the authenticity and already proven results of such a program, with 2 light warmups and heavy 5x5s.

Please also note that I stall (rep-pause) on the last few reps of the last few sets, so I know this is indeed my max weight.

I am still looking into static training as well. I have been screwing around on the rings but haven't put forth any serious effort yet, in fear of killing my gains and strength on the 5x5 exercises. I'm also worried that if I stop my 5x5 weighted bodyweight program I will not build as much mass (although I haven't seen any results yet after a week and a half anyway).

In any case, should I stop the weighted program and just work on statics? Or does doing statics prior really help the situation?

Thanks

Also on the question of eating, I know I have talked with a few members before, most of which told me to eat for a man 5lb heavier than I currently am now.

My problem lies in significant calorie reduction for about a 2 week period prior to beginning this exercise program (5x5). I ate under 1500 calories for a 21 year old, 5'8 145 pound male. I was only eating raw fruits, veggies, nuts, and lean meat, but drank a lot of water so I wasn't hungry as much.

I realize I need to eat on this program to gain weight (perhaps that is why I haven't gained much muscle yet), but I don't want to overdo it because I am not sure of my BMR and if at all the calorie reduction session (2 weeks) has slowed my metabolism any.

Long story short, I don't want to get fat, and I don't know how to measure to eat like someone 5 lbs heavier than I currently am if I don't know where my BMR is in the first place.

OR

Should I just be concerned with eating as much food as I can and worry about melting the fat later? I'm finally getting leaner and can somewhat see a 6-pack forming, my jaw line is more pronounced, and I would rather not become a fatass in hopes of increasing strength and muscle mass.

Thanks guys!

Joshua Naterman

Eat 200-300 calories more than you normally do. That will be enough. Try to make sure there is a pretty even balance between protein and fat, with some carbs.

A tablespoon of peanut butter or olive oil, an apple, and a 4 ounce chicken breast is slightly over 300 calories. It's not much more food :)