Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to do my own training program?

klops3style

I would like train full body. What parts of the body I should train at the beginning and what parts at the end?

Please reply :-)

Lower body before upper body.

What's the reasoning behind this?

skills before strength sounds intuitively good, but lower body before upper body, at least to me not. (intuitively it wouldn't matter)

Neal Winkler

More muscle before less muscle. More musculature is used for lower body exercise (except hamstring curls, which you could put at the end of the session).

But, your priorities will be another factor in the order you chose. Any residual fatigue that could effect latter exercises in the session means you should do your most important goals first. So, if doing lower body has any fatigue for your upper body exercises, but you are way more concerned about improve your progressions on the upper body, then do upper body first.

Joshua Naterman

You're also better off performing your explosive work in a separate session, if you do any. Not everyone can schedule that in, and it's not the end of the world if you can't, but if you can you should do explosive work in a separate session.

I personally do my legs and deadlifts at the end of the workout, because honestly I have plenty of steam left in the tank. When I do them first sometimes I can't stay at full intensity for everything I want to do. But again, like triangle said, my priority is my shoulders, which is why I do everything involving them first. Whatever you need to work on the most should come first. There isn't a flat-out right answer on exercise order within a workout, though a general pattern you want to follow is to work from the inside out. Exercises that rely on the chest, back, and buttocks should come before shoulder, arm, or leg-specific work. So before you do bicep curls, do your pull ups. Many of our gymnastic exercises rely on many muscles, so we don't have as much trouble trying to fit things in the right order, but you definitely want to do your front lever rows before you do your inverted curls, for example. Outside of small things like that, put things in order from most important(for you, personally) to least important. Do the most important exercise first and work your way down, but give each exercise 100% effort when you perform them!

I have the intention to practice:

- ABDOMINAL,

- TECHNIQUES ( eg. press handstand, v sit )

- LEGS,

- PUSH AND PULL UPS,

- STRETCHING,

Is it correctly? Will there be any effects?

Quick Start Test Smith

I think he's asking about the sequencing of his workout.

klops3style, I don't think V-sits or press handstands count as technique. Technique would refer to practicing, for example, a back flip or a cartwheel. V-sits and press handstands are strength exercises, not "tricks".

The proper sequencing for workouts is basically like this: warm up, technique, speed, anaerobic, strength, aerobic, and cool down.

As for what order you should work exercises/muscle groups, that depends on your goals. If your goal is to nail the handstand, then I doubt working the planche right before your handstand work would be efficient. Another example is if your goal is to achieve the V-sit, stressing your core muscles (abdominal and back) and hip flexors before you did your V-sit training would be harmful to your V-sit progress, simply because the muscles would already be tired and unable to work as hard as they would if they were fresh.

I'm new to body weight training gymnastics style, but you have to determine what your goals are, what muscle groups are most important for those goals, and which exercises are most important for the muscle groups. Everything else comes after your most important goal specific exercises, according my limited knowledge.

I hope this helps you. :)

Patrick

Skill work after warmup. I prefer upper body before lower body stuff. Nothing is the same after explosive or powerful lower body work. Whether I'm out of energy or it's my CNS, I dunno.

Neal Winkler

I've never had any trouble with doing lower body before upper body. That's how I've seen it written most often in weightlifting, and that's how I've done it for many years when doing whole body splits. For example, in Starting Strength/Practical Programming, Rip has squats first. Or in Kelly Baggetts's work, he places lower body exercises first when he gives examples of full body splits. These are two examples off the top of my head.

Of course, the reason may simply be that the programs these guys are making are for lower body explosiveness, so they are just going by #1 priorities first. In gymnastics, 99% peoples first priority has something to do with the upper body, so you'll want to go with upper body first.

Joshua Naterman

Honestly, part of why I do my squats or deadlifts last is that I take a while to really warm up, and all that upper body work helps. I actually tend to perform better that way. Of course, when I do that I am not hammering my upper body super hard. Just regular hard, it's nothing I can't do two or three times if I needed to. That way I am primed for my leg work. For whatever reason, I get better results that way. of course, I am not trying to have a 900 lb squat or deadlift either. If I were, I'd put most of my work there, just like any smart powerlifter. That's where most of your total comes from :) Rippetoe is a powerlifter, and that shows in his programming. Nothing wrong with that at all, and if your goals are similar you should program the way he does.

As far as Baggett goes, he's working on the assumption that lower body strength and power is the single most important thing. And for most team sports, guess what? IT IS! In gymnastics it is not. I prefer to take a balanced approach, but that's just me. I can keep up with at least the lower level of professional prospects in pretty much all areas in most any sport, physically speaking. I will admit that when I first started building my strength I did focus pretty heavily on leg strength, and now I just don't need to. I'm pretty damn strong, quite honestly, and there's no need for me to focus excessively on legs anymore :)

It's all about what his priorities are.

And for the original poster: try out your program! See how you feel after a few weeks. If you are getting the results you are looking for then that's great! If something isn't going right, come back and tell us what is going on. What you want to do might work well. I will say that you should probably work your core last(except for stretching), because everything else uses your core and if you make your core tired the rest of your workout will probably suffer.

My priority is to learn press handstand and v sit :-) Thanks for tips :-)

Mainly I mean in what order are trained each muscle in strength training, because I want strengthen the whole body and the opportunity to learn gymnastic techniques ( e.g v sit or PressHS )