Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone thought they'd never do a pike and then gone on to succeed

Edward Norton

I just read the article The Benefits of Hamstring Flexibility and Pike Compression after it appeared in my Facebook stream.

I've never been able to "touch my toes". I couldn't do it when I was nine warming up for sports. I hated sitting cross legged on the floor in my first year at school. It feels like I was just born this way. After five years of pilates and a year of yoga, I'm no closer. If the one thing I get out of GST is the ability to touch my toes, I will be exceedingly happy, although at this moment it still feels impossible.

Has anyone felt the same and then gone on to succeed? How long did it take and which path did you follow? 

EJN-2016-08-23-05465.jpg

A truly horrific before picture! I look forward to posting a much improved after picture some day . . .

Alessandro Mainente

HI Edrward, it takes the time it needs, body responds differently from person to person. for example on of my client was extremely strong due to powerlifting squat (he was able to squat 3 times his BW) and he had perfect mobile hips but he was so tight. he did the middle split course with me once a week for 9 week then he got the middle split.

• Upvote 1

Mike Lounsbury

I touched my toes for the first time last week. I have been doing GST for 4 months now. I started with fundamentals and in the first week you are suppose to sit in a pike and straddle position. I couldn't even sit in a pike or straddle at a 90 degree angle, so I built a few boxes to elevate myself. One box I built was 7 1/2 inches high and when I tried to touch my toes I just barely touched that box so that was my starting point. I went through fundamentals and then immediately jumped into foundation 1 and two weeks ago bought the front split stretch program. When I first started it seemed impossible, but I kept at it and in these 4 months I have only missed 1 workout. If I were to try and touch my toes right now I still can't do it, but after a 40 min foundation workout followed by a 45 min front split stretch I did it. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Mike Lounsbury said:

I touched my toes for the first time last week. I have been doing GST for 4 months now. I started with fundamentals and in the first week you are suppose to sit in a pike and straddle position. I couldn't even sit in a pike or straddle at a 90 degree angle, so I built a few boxes to elevate myself. One box I built was 7 1/2 inches high and when I tried to touch my toes I just barely touched that box so that was my starting point. I went through fundamentals and then immediately jumped into foundation 1 and two weeks ago bought the front split stretch program. When I first started it seemed impossible, but I kept at it and in these 4 months I have only missed 1 workout. If I were to try and touch my toes right now I still can't do it, but after a 40 min foundation workout followed by a 45 min front split stretch I did it. 

That is awesome progress, Mike.  Congratulations!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've just finished the front split stretch program for the first time. I feel surprisingly good even though my I have the mobility of an oak. The difference between the first and last pike was a good four inches. What a great routine! I will definitely be doing it weekly. 

• Upvote 6

I love doing Jefferson curl and then weighted pike stretches. I was stiff as a board first due to not having flexed much at all for 2 years because of a herniated disc. At first I felt more of a really extreme neural tension and stretch in my back ligaments even more than my muscles. It was almost a nauseating sensation often, especially when keeping the knees extended. Now it feels better and better, and from being able to just reach down to the shins I can now sit down and easily grab both feet with completely straight knees. Still got a long way to go though, but that stretch session is my favorite exercise right now. I always look forward to it every time, and each time is so gratifying when I reach just a little bit further than before.

• Upvote 2

Julian Glaßmeyer

Hey Edward, I felt the same. I have never been able to touch the floor and I was so far away like you on the picture. I always said it's just not possible for me due to my height and long legs. But the fact is, I have never tried to work on it.

Then I started Fundamentals. After finishing the course I did the daily limber every day and started Foundation. I made huge progressions in my mobility. After about 2 months it was possbile for me to touch the floor. It is such a great feeling which you will feel soon.

Enjoy your journey! I wish you great success. Your body will thank you.

• Upvote 2

Awesome work Edward. Consistency is the key to fast progress. I wish I could have recorded every step of my GST journey but I put in all work and didn't have the time to record where I have started. I am constantly refining my Range of Motion and I am definitely loving the journey. Keep working on it. You are not alone on this. :)

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Julian Glaßmeyer said:

Hey Edward, I felt the same. I have never been able to touch the floor and I was so far away like you on the picture. I always said it's just not possible for me due to my height and long legs. But the fact is, I have never tried to work on it.

Then I started Fundamentals. After finishing the course I did the daily limber every day and started Foundation. I made huge progressions in my mobility. After about 2 months it was possbile for me to touch the floor. It is such a great feeling which you will feel soon.

Enjoy your journey! I wish you great success. Your body will thank you.

Thanks Julian - I too start each workout with the daily limber from Fundamentals. It's a great way to get both body and mind ready for what's next.

9 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Awesome work Edward. Consistency is the key to fast progress. I wish I could have recorded every step of my GST journey but I put in all work and didn't have the time to record where I have started. I am constantly refining my Range of Motion and I am definitely loving the journey. Keep working on it. You are not alone on this. :)

I remember seeing a before and after picture of you on Facebook - your hard work really has paid off and inspirational! 

• Upvote 1

@Edward Norton  Consistency, Consistency, Consistency...

I've been impressed with my progress doing the Daily Limber every day and each of the Stretch Series weekly. I've made more gains in my pike than my bridge. Like Coach says in the video, I'm not measuring over days, rather a months/years.  I see incremental progress and trust with time it will come.

As much as you didn't like that photo, I'd highly encourage you to take a photo of nearly every position you are tight in.  It's great to document your journey and you'll be impressed and motivate yourself.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, William Trask said:

As much as you didn't like that photo, I'd highly encourage you to take a photo of nearly every position you are tight in.  It's great to document your journey and you'll be impressed and motivate yourself.

I'm a photographer, so I have no excuse except I'm normally the other side of the camera. I'm in this for the long term and if it takes me a year I will be very happy. 

• Upvote 2

Ed,

I was doing Taekwondo for 7 years before finding GB and making slow progress. The martial arts, like gymnastics, are full of teachers who are pretty good, but ineffective as instructors. GB finally answered the question of how often to stretch, how much to do, and how long to hold the stretches for best results. After four months of consistent practice, I can do things I never thought I’d be able to do like touch my palms to the floor in a standing pike, touch my elbows to the floor in middle splits and (almost) do a front lever. So stay with the program. It works. I’m 64, my kids have noticed the improvement in my physique, and my Taekwondo kicks are better as well.

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...
Julian Glaßmeyer

Hey Edward, how are you doing? Are you seeing improvements?

Thanks to consistency, I am seeing some. I never thought I could do it. Seeing improvements, awakens my hunger for more.

DF51E6B7-A79E-4609-BE3C-C351B8218270.jpg

• Upvote 3