Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mobility / Powerlifting Pairs

Blaze Kwaymullina 162734

Blaze Kwaymullina 162734

Hi guys, simple question here. I do 531 at the moment at a Powerlifting / Strong man Gym down the road. I started recently using the stretch series three times a week from GB. That is all i currently use GB for - the stretch series. My strength training focuses on squat, deadlift, bench and Press (though i did buy the other basic courses as it is something i will no doubt try later).

One thing i liked in the foundation course is the integration of mobility with the exercises. i.e you do an exercise than do a paired mobility exercise straight after like a super set.

I was curious if anyone could recommend a mobility exercise to pair with the four core lifts in 531 that i could do in between sets. i.e:

Squat - Mobility Pair X

Deadlift - Mobility Pair X

Bench Press - Mobility Pair X

Overhead Press - Mobility Pair X

If it makes any difference i squat and deadlift Sumo style with a very wide stance.

In order to improve my mobility i currently warm up with Defrancos simple 6 and Limber 11 and then have just started doing three of the GB stretch sessions per week which kicked my ass.

Hi Blaze, 

Great question. 

Many athletes use the GB program as a supplement to improve other physical activities. However one thing to keep in mind is that GST is designed to make all joints mobile and strong in their full range of motion. With weight lifting you are going to continuously be getting tight. Which means you need to address your mobility as much as possible to find the perfect balance of the two.

My recommendation is to up your weekly do of the stretch courses. After big squat days I would finish with the GB stretch on big overhead press days finish with the GB thoracic bridge course. 

My background is strictly in GymnasticBodies programming. @Luke Searra may have some great recommendation as his background relates to yours. 

• Upvote 1

Blaze Kwaymullina 162734

Thanks Tanya. I already do some mobility / stretching prior to lifting and then the gb stretch courses 3 times a week on top of that.

Thats 7 days a week of mobility / stretching so i get a lot done. What i was more wondering if it wasn't clear in my post, is if its worth pairing my major core lifts with a mobility pair. This would save my time as it would integrate some mobility work into the workout itself and so i could probably lesson some of the mobility i do prior to lifting.

I hope that makes sense. For example i do some light jefferson curls prior to lifting.as part of a general mobility / pre hab routine..Rather than doing those prior perhaps it could be paired with deadlift as an exercise / mobility pair and super setted aka how foundations is set up.

Was just curious if anyone does this already? I can superset a stretch with a lift easily enough (aka bench and chest stretch). But thought someone.might have played with something cooler. The foundations series has some mobility movements ive never seen before so i figured someone might have a suggestion.

Aww I gotcha Blaze. 

I do think that is a great idea, to pair your living with a GST mobility in-between sets. 

I am going to include a few other coaches that may have done this or have a better insight on your questions. 

@Alessandro Mainente what are your thoughts?

@Chris Garay can you help give Blaze a few tips on his programming?

Hi Blaze,

Without getting too specific, I would recommend keeping your mobility work in between your strength sets brief and focused on non-competing muscle groups. For instance, if you are back squatting, perhaps your mobility between sets can be upper body oriented.

I think it's great that you are doing the GB Stretch Series in addition to your powerlifting workouts. I would also be interested in hearing how the Foundation Series impacts your lifts, if you decide to jump in and train GST full-on. Keep us updated!

Best, Chris

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Blaze, absolutely. with the integrated mobility you can fully restore the range of motion that you had in the first set.

depending on the foundations you have I can say to you the correct exercise you should use in between your strength.

• Upvote 2

Blaze Kwaymullina 162734

Thanks for the replies guys. In answer to an earlier question in terms of combining powerlifting and Foundations i don't think i would do that as i wouldn't have the recovery and they seem to be very different programs. If i combined foundations and lifting i would just keep one major core lift and replace the rest with the GB work. This lift would be either the deadlift or the squat. Likewise if i was incorporating GB training into powerlifting i would incorporate only one element - probably handstand work.

Otherwise i think you are best to do the program you enjoy as it is laid out or you end up trying to do everything and succeed at nothing.

What might be a more interesting combination that powerlifting / gymnastics is strongman / gymnastics. We have a lot of strongman competitors at our gym and they do an enormous range of training in that sport. I imagine someone more intelligent that I could pick some specific elements that would fit in well with that.

In terms of the integrated mobility pairing upper / with lower that sounds great and happy to give it a try. In terms of actual exercises my upper body mobility is reasonably good (for lifting anyway). My groin mobility is also reasonable for wide stances.

But my hamstring flexibility is non existent. They are like concrete and actually make it difficult to deadlift and squat correctly as they compromise my form if i use a normal stance when i get deep. That is partly why i squat and pull in sumo stance as i have the groin mobility to do so and my tight hamstrings don't get in the way.

I've started doing more weighted pike stretches and jefferson curls and the gb stretch routine so hopefully over time i can loosen them up.